Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Bedford
City
London
tl;dr, All important details will be bolded for easy reading.

Hello, posters of the forum, yes, this seems like the obligatory "first worry post" per se, and, well, it is.

Well, this is going to be absolutely moronic of me, but I'd love to hear from actual sufferers rather than the standard internet doctor. I want first hand speculations.

Let's go through my physical attributes.

I'm currently in College, age 17, (UK, different grade system to the US :p)
I'm somewhat overweight in correlation to my height, but I'm making somewhat steady progress of losing it.
I am a massive hypochondriac.

Okay, recently, well, for a few months, My muscles have been going slightly weak and periods of time, not lasting for more than a few seconds at most, mostly when I'm sitting down. I also recently (up to an hour ago) experienced a muscle "twitchiness" in my upper thigh. and I'm feeling slight pain in my upper arm.

I haven't seen any anomalies or atrophies in my muscles.
I should also mention I am extremely anxious, but that started before i even thought about ALS.

I recently suffered a panic attack, fueled by a small private issue (it involves asking a girl out)

I also have not had a regular sleep pattern for the past 4~5 years. And recently, I've stayed up for more than 24 hours AND I've self-diagnosed (worst thing to do) myself with sleep deprivation, due to the amount of time I've lost.

I am not very active physically as my weight loss is mostly diet driven. I should add I feel slight weird feelings in my elbows. (as I'm typing this).
I've checked online and it could just be lack of exercise, and I am planning to go for a check-up soon, regardless of the symptoms.
I am also tired a lot of the time

I'm posting here because I feel that I will get an honest answer from people who are doctors, studying ALS/MND and sufferers themselves.

In the UK the statistics are 2 in 100,000, with the number of people suffering from it at 5,000
Direct quote from an "independent" news article

"Terminal illness changes the context of everything in life, big and small. Those two small memories have certainly felt different since Lindy became one of the 5,000 people in the UK to be suffering from motor neurone Disease (MND)."

And I understand the chances of getting it below that age are ridiculously low.

All I wanted to know is, Are these symptoms of ALS/MND?

I recently read about Stephen Hawkings (my idol) disease, and how his form is a rare form of it. It got me thinking, and my hypochondria kicked in and went straight for the worst case scenarios, due to my symptoms.

Sorry for all the big wall of text.

Thank you very much, I look forward to your answers.

P.S, I can stand on one leg, and my grip is fine. I'm just wondering if these are "early symptoms"

Thank you, again, guys.

*source
Motor neurone disease: 'I try to live from week to week' - Features - Health & Families - The Independent

What did your physician say when he/she examined you?

I think you should go to your dr. Talk to him/her about your anxiety. This does not sound like als. You should read the stickies on the site. I am sure it would help answer alot of your questions and anxiety. Als is very rare as you stated and is virtually unheard of at your age.

You may be having health issues but not als. I wish you peace and a happy life.

What symptoms? nothing you wrote are symptoms of anything but general life. Re-read you post with an open mind and imagine you are one of us. then close down your computer, take a walk around the block make a commitment to living a real and full life because the only thing holding you back from all your dreams and goals is you.

Well I am not a Pals or Cals, but I feel sad that you are only17 and suffering so much. You are correct in one of your self diagnosis and that is hypochondria. Hypochondria is an illness and just reading your post its obvious that it is destroying you at the moment. Please please get help. You need to see a psychologist who can help your thought patterns and arm you with ways cope. It's fantastic that you are trying to lose weight, take the next step and exercise as well. Health is not all about a weight on a scale. Physical fitness can heal and improve us psychologically. I really hope you get through this. I am sure you will.

What did your physician say when he/she examined you?

I'm planning to go for a basic checkup anyway soon.

What symptoms? nothing you wrote are symptoms of anything but general life. Re-read you post with an open mind and imagine you are one of us. then close down your computer, take a walk around the block make a commitment to living a real and full life because the only thing holding you back from all your dreams and goals is you.

I guess you're right. My muscles aren't feeling weak at all now. I guess it's just my mind.

Well I am not a Pals or Cals, but I feel sad that you are only17 and suffering so much. You are correct in one of your self diagnosis and that is hypochondria. Hypochondria is an illness and just reading your post its obvious that it is destroying you at the moment. Please please get help. You need to see a psychologist who can help your thought patterns and arm you with ways cope. It's fantastic that you are trying to lose weight, take the next step and exercise as well. Health is not all about a weight on a scale. Physical fitness can heal and improve us psychologically. I really hope you get through this. I am sure you will.

Thank you, Aly, for the words of encouragement, this time i'm taking my health and diet more seriously

Only one life, y'know!

As I said, my muscles are feeling normal again.

Thank you to everyone and I also wish everyone here the best.

Goodbye c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back