Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
philly
Still trying to find an answer to my question......

EMG REVEALED EVIDENCE OF ACTIVE DENERVATION IN C7 & S1 INNERVATED MUSCLES BILATERALLY. I read on here that if the words "active" or "chronic" DENERATION appear on the report it is not good and considered "DIRTY". Is this true?

The report also states FINDINGS " RADICULOPATHY'S IN C7 AND S1 BILATERALLY"

IS MY EMG CONSIDERED CLEAN OR DIRTY?

The neuro said I have nothing to worry about and I don't have als?

Can the neuro tell the difference from an als denervation or a radiculopathy from the emg?
MRI showed 3 disc bulge (herniations / 1 impingment) in cervical spine and 1 disc bulge in L5.

Thanks

Hi,

Active denervation by itself alone doesn't say much because it doesn't show the whole picture of what is really occurring.
If the report is accompanied by the word "chronic" denervation then it might look suspicious that something is happening at neuronal level.
Although, let me say this, chronic denervation by itself doesn't necessarily points out to MND exclusively, there might be other things going on such as chronic neuropathy which also causes chronic denervation.

And, while this denervation process is occurring, the remaining healthy axons sprout and synapse with denervated fibers ( that it's called collateral reinnervation). As a result of the combined denervation and reinnervation, motor units enlarge, and their fibers, instead of being scattered, come to lie adjacent to one another.

Maybe you should send PM to "Wright" with detailed information of your EMG as he's the expert on that field in the forums and he can help you.

Regards,

NH

I'm no doctor, but the fact that your report showed radiculopathy is "good" news in the sense that it explains a reason for your denervation.

The reason they do these EMGs, MRIs, etc is to find a reason for your symptoms. When you have active and / or chronic denervation but there is no underlying structural reason (nerve impingement, spinal problem, etc) then there is reason to worry. ALS is a diagnosis of elimination.

Sounds to me like you have, in the simplest terms, a back problem. There is a clear reason for your issues - the bulging discs and herniation. That's why your neurologist isn't worried at all about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back