Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
College Station
Just curious if anyone on the forum has had both arthritic and mnd symptoms. I have the twitching in my inflamed right calf and at times over the rest of my body. I have atrophy in my left forearm and hand. This evening I had swollen fingers on my left hand. Could not get my wedding ring off of my ring finger, but I can do so easily during the day. I also have a continuous swollen right toe (has to be gout) and have had this for over a year. Then I have the scaly itchy patches on my right foot and lower legs, have had them for a year. The left forearm atrophy and right leg twitching has me focused on als. As well as stiffness all over my body. I'm able to function fine, just not like I used to be able to do. I'm 41. Has anyone else on this forum had similar experiences? Thanks so much for the feedback. I wish that I would have never Google'd left arm muscle soreness/atrophy back in January. I have an appt scheduled with a nuero.

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

To partially answer your question, yes people could have arthritis running alongside with MND. You could even have, let's say diabetes (or any other ailment for that matter) running alongside with MND, to put it on perspective.

I am not a Doctor nor a Neurologist but, if you are worried about your symptoms it would be better off for you to wait until your scheduled appointment with your Neurologist and discuss your symptoms with him so he can perform some clinical tests, and other tests on you if deemed necessary to make a right diagnosis or rule out any conditions.
However, even when I'm not a Neuro, I do not think your symptoms point to any MND for that matter.

Best regards,

NH

Thank you for your response! Much appreciated!

You are welcome.

Stay tunned as other forum members with more knowledge might chime in on this thread with some answers and recommendations for you.

Regards,

NH

Thanks Nighthawk. I have been so impressed with the knowledge and information of the members of this forum. Everyone has been so helpful. Thank you so much.

Hi! Like any disease, it is possible to have other ailments running alongside MND. MND does not have a monopoly on one's health. My partner, Michel, had some arthritis and spondylitis. He did take brufen, which was helping his early symptoms of MND. His lumbar puncture did point out some inflammation, which the brufen aided. He did have some spurs developing inside his spinal cord, which at first, we took for causing his symptoms (if only). Remember, there are many symptoms which may point to MND, but have nothing to do with it. It is essential to have a neurologist make such a diagnosis and remember MND is all about eliminating other possible diseases in order to diagnose MND. While it is incredible to have so much information at one's fingertips through the internet, it can also be problematic because there is too much information freely available and it can be misleading. Good luck with your visit!

My apologies, phhope, I just wrote a long response which disappeared in the cyber void, for ever, since it did not even come up as moderated.

I know that it is hard, since I have spent a hefty chunk out of my life being treated for various health problems at various hospitals, who have patched me up and returned me to the fray.

There's no easy answer, as evidenced on House, with the running gag of 'it could be lupus'; that's a very realistic response to the fact that even the best doctors can be flummoxed by symptoms.

So, keep on putting one foot in front of the next, and continue to seek answers. Fortunately, none of your symptoms seem to point to ALS, but you need to get it sorted, whatever it is. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that your neuro will be helpful.

Grateful,

Thank you for your reply. It's funny because when I've talked with my family doctor about what I'm feeling, he always seems perplexed. I know something's not right with something in my body and I'm just now beginning the journey of figuring out what it is. I remind myself daily that I am blessed to be able to walk, talk, and breathe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back