Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
College Station
I'm getting ready to visit a nuero after weird symptoms over the past four months.
In January, I noticed some slight atrophy in my forearm. I also began experiencing pain in the same arm, like burning in the muscles. My md told me he didn't notice the atrophy and didn't feel that I needed to see a nuero. So, I moved on.
I continued to to have the same sensation and feeling in the same arm, especially after much use. Then in mid March, twitches started in my right calf and now I feel them sort of all over my body periodically, but they are constant in my righ calf, non stop. Now mid April, both of my hands feel so stiff. I also get burning in the fingertips.
I did alot of yard work over the weekend and my whole body is having a hard time recovering, especially my left arm. If I do too much physically, it's painful.
So, my mind has been all over the possibility of ALS. I've been a substantial drinker over the past seven years but have recently given that up. I also wonder if the use of alcohol may have had some effects on the nerves. I still have strength and range of motion. My atrophied left arm, I can still lift quite a bit of weight, it's just painful to do so.
Anyway, I'm getting an appt with a Nuero and have no idea what to expect. My question is what are some of the first things that a Nuero will check? Will they automatically do an EMG or nerve conduction? Does anyone know sort of the step by step process they go through when examining a patient? Thank you for you time.

Hi

Most 1st appts involve a history, and then a basic exam. Relfexes, walk on toes, heels, touch your nose. There will be strength tests and possibly some blood tests. based on those there could be more tests like an emg/nvc or mris it is hard to say. Good luck.

I second what Vickim posted. All those tests were the ones I underwent during my first appointment with the Neuro. Clinical exam, strength tests, tell him my history about how and when my symptoms had started, blood tests, MRI, etc.

Good luck to you.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back