Interest: I have Undiagnosed type of MND
CRR10 is on a distinguished road
Banned
City: Orlando
State: Florida
Default Limbo Land need Bipap recommendation

Could someone please recommend the best Bipap, if cost is not really a factor. I have been thinking of getting respironics Bipap St. I really want something small and portable though, that I can go out with.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Mtn. Home
State: Ar
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
caldona is on a distinguished road
City: Mtn. Home
State: Ar
Diagnosed: 01/2007
caldona is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Limbo Land need Bipap recommendation

My is a bipap st if I don't breathe in 12 seconds it pushes air in and Medicare pays.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: EGA
State: GA
Diagnosed: 05/2011
momap53 is on a distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: EGA
State: GA
Diagnosed: 05/2011
momap53 is on a distinguished road

The Trilogy that I have can be used to vent or for BiPap. It's portable with internal battery. I have it mounted on the back of my PWC with a couple of caribeners so that it articulates with my chair. It's in a nice case that has grommets that allow for this.
I'm happy with my ResMed V PAP S9 bedside unit with humidifier and heated tubing. Very quiet.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 AM #4 (permalink)
Banned

Banned

Thanks for the kind advice.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 AM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming periodic breathing and central apnea are not issues, consider first whether or not your greater need is for ST mode (forced breaths) or VPAP functionality (varying IPAP and EPAP) or AVAPS/iVAPS (keeping a certain tidal volume going). Apart from lab machines, which are sometimes available, no machine does all these things equally well and none operates on more than one mode at a time. If you need pressure that rises and drops based on apneas/hypopneas or tidal volume throughout the night/day (a la VPAP S or a VAPS mode), you should also consider the extent to which you need EPAP to vary independently of IPAP.

Then go on SecondWind or somewhere and buy gently used (I prefer ResMed to Respironics but YMMV) so you don't pay too much, given that you may need another option later in your disease.

And to all, spring for the data card and download SleepyHead if available for your machine so you can track sleep daily and export data easily to your clinic. The proprietary Respironics software is much more cumbersome, one of the reasons why I would try to buy within the supported System One or S9 series (both supported by SleepyHead, which is cross-platform) if possible.
Closed Thread

Tags
bipap, cost