Not open for further replies.

SadsackinCali

Country
US
State
California
City
Visalia
Is muscle pain while doing certain things (turning a faucet, carrying a bag, turning pages in a book) a sign of muscle weakness? I have begun to notice in the past month pain in my hands, wrists, arms, calves, feet...when I do anything that puts strain on my muscles. This along with my other symptoms, has me concerned about progression.

Did you go see the phychiatrist(sp)? Weakness means that you can not turn the faucet. Have you been tested for arthritis? OR myesthenia gravis? There is usually no pain in early als. I think this has been explained before. The more concern and anxiety you have the worse you are going to feel. I wish you peace.

"Okay. NO ALS. The EMG showed no signs of it whatsoever! So relieved I could have peed my pants !"

The above quote you posted January 31/13. What progression? You do not have ALS. Please seek help to resolve your fears and "progress" to a happy life. I'm not a trained professional, but common sense dictates your visits here are doing you more harm than good.

You don't have ALS if your EMG showed otherwise. I feel you shouldn't be on this site because it just adds to your anxiety. There are very minor things that could cause your symptoms such as stress. I am not qualified to start to give any diagnosis but what did cross my mind about your symptoms was is it arthritis. Go see a psychiatrist please if you feel you have anxiety that is making you paranoid. Best of luck to you. Now go do something relaxing for yourself.

Where did that quote come from? I haven't had my EMG yet. It is scheduled for April 11.

That quote was posted by Petlover. I responded to it. I have been to see the psychiatrist and they have cleared me of any mental health issues affecting my body. I am still seeing the Neuro. He is scheduling an EMG as a formality, but feels he is going to have to refer me to UCLA or San Francisco. He has already told me this.

My very sincere apology.

I did have you confused with petlover. I think you both joined around the same time, but still no excuse! I do try to be cautious and thoughtful in all of my posts. I would not intentionally cause you aggravation.

April 11 will be here soon. I know it's a long wait... We have all been there and done that! Hang in there, and be patient and kind with yourself.

Thank you Elaine. I understand how it must have seemed if I was still asking questions after a clean EMG. I hope that when it is done, it will come out clean. That way I can put all of these worries to rest.

My ALS started with limb onset (right ankle). I would walk in my yard and my right ankle would sprain (outside of ankle would almost touch the ground). I would stumble and think "I must have stepped in a dip in the ground". Then I would think "Gee I turned my ankle over pretty bad and it DID NOT hurt...that's weird". Little did I know at the time that was the beginning of my right ankle "weakness".

Hi all,

I have noticed an indention on the inside of my lower calf about 5 in. up from my ankle. It's about a finger length long horizontally, about a half in. wide, and about a quarter in. deep. It is painful when I stretch my calf muscle. Could this be muscle atrophy or loss of muscle? I plan on asking the neuro when I have my EMG next week, but would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks

Well I have atrophy and weakness and I have no indentions. I have weakness in my legs, hips, shoulders, arms and neck. My legs just look skinnier ( wish others parts of my body were). Wait until your dr appt.

I am not a doctor but was wondering if the area of your indention feels hot to the touch. If you have continous pain with this please give your primary physician. I am just throwing this out there but a blood clot went through my mind. Could be alot of things but doubt it has anything to do with muscle weakness. Please try to relax until your appointment. Kim

Please accept my apology for my previous post. I had mistaken you for another poster as well.

Thanks for the reply's. I have noticed (after being kept up through the night with pain in that area of my leg) that putting ice on it makes the indent shrink. Very strange.

Hello,

I'm a nervous wreck tonight, cuz I am getting my EMG results tomorrow. I have a question. The neuro only tested my forearms, wrists, and thumbs. I have had minor twitching in those areas, but the majority of the twitching has been in my legs (mostly calves). Would ALS show up in the arms through the EMG...even if most of my problems are in my legs? Thanks for any reply's.

Allison

Dear SadsackinCali,

There is an old proverb that says: "Don't cross the bridge until you come to it"...

So, why put all this stress and anxiety over your shoulders?
Why not wait until tomorrow to get the answers you are looking for?
I have a hunch that your EMG will come up clean and you will have nothing to worry about.
Just one more night of sleep for you.

Take care.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back