Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Ct
City
Hartford
Hello all. I was recently diagnosed with ALS. I would like some advice and information on some of my symptoms and if anyone can help me out.

Some background information- Some of my symptoms were; speech where I could only whisper and talk very quietly, feeling in my hands and my right arm felt like a 'log', my hand I would not be able to clip my nails or extend out my fingers and I could not lift my arm above my head, I also had muscle weakness, soreness, tiredness, and I my legs felt weak. I also had twitching and I could not close my fist without having to pry my fingers open and extreme pain. The doctor diagnosed me with ALS and with those symptoms I listed.

Now my symptoms are as follows. I could now lift up my arm and swing it over my head multiple times without feeling of weakness or tiredness, my arm no longer feels like a 'log', I have strength in my arm I didn't have previously. I can now extend my fingers to the fullest and they are no longer bent. I can also make a fist without muscle cramps and having to pry my fingers open. Also, previously I could only talk in a low tone and I could not yell. I could only whisper and talk quietly, now I can yell and sing songs while playing the piano with my fingers. Also, my leg weakness is subsiding and I have very little twitching as compared to before.

Now with everything I read online and multiple textbooks, I have not read about being able to do these things once I lost them. In textbooks, on this website, and many more articles and websites i read that it either stays the same (rare), progresses slowly, progresses fast. It never reverts back because you no longer have the neurons needed. Now I would like some advice on what some personal experiences or anything else. Like I said, my arm no longer feels like a 'log' i can un bend my fingers, crush containers, my speech is much better where I can yell and scream.

I read online that once your brain and nerves don't make the connection in your arm/leg or elsewhere those neurons can not come back. So I wouldn't be able to extend my fingers and swing my arms over my head. My speech is better and also my energy.

Does anybody have any good information or resources? Can anyone give me some advice and help me out? Anything would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Yes, you must have been misdiagnosed. Get a second opinion from a different Neuro. Please keep to one thread.

I'm sorry I would just like some answers and responses.

Why so many threads?

I'm thinking you were either initially misdiagnosed or have been blessed by divine intervention.

Either way, good for you! I was taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thank you. What do you think about the symptoms?

From what you wrote your symptoms are going away.

Do the happy dance! That's the only comment I have, cuz that's what I'd be doing... That and giving thanks!

I am with Ottawa Girl on this one. Whether you were misdiagnosed or just experienced a miracle, you've just gotten a new lease on life - enjoy it! If you want a name for it, I know a woman who had a similar experience, though she was farther along in progression than you. Her docs never figured out what really happened there, and made up the name "chronic lateral sclerosis" to put on forms. She learned to walk again, and nowadays she can live a full able bodied life if she is careful. She doesn't sweat the details and has taken up a career as a artist. Go live, and with the extra gratitude that comes from not taking things for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back