Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Hi all,

A few months ago I started having lots of pain in both my hands and feet - it would come and go in phases. It's come back and gone a few times, but overall I feel weak with it. I went to a neurologist and had a EMG/NCT and they said I was incredibly tense and was suffering from anxiety.

A few months later, the thing has come back with a vengenance.. lots of pain, general weakness (in my feet/hands.. no foot drop etc) but I'm having lots of muscle twitching.. arms, legs.. back.

I feel a bit odd posting on this forum, but it's been helpful for me as I've had three people I've known die of ALS/MND.

Any ideas? I'm having back pain so curious if I had a pinched nerve but I really don't know how to fully test that (chiropractor?) without spending all my savings..!

Maybe Benign Fasticulation Syndrome, aka BFS. Pain is a part of ALS, but not as a presenting fact. If you saw a neuro, what did he say about your weakness? And why did he do the EMG?

You are not a dr and should not be testing anything. You cannot self diagnos. You should go to a GP and let him/her decide what tests should be done. I wish you peace.

He did the test when I described my symptoms - they actually did it twice because at the end when going thru the results the machine crashed. The results from that were fine - they gave me anxiety pills.

The twitching/pain has gotten worse though.. perhaps a vicious cycle (stress.. twitching.. anxiety)

Yes stress can do horrible things to a body and they will get worse with more stress and anxiety. I would suggest that you take the meds, and stay away from dr goo gle. Go live a happy healthy life.

Your muscle twitching sound more benign to me than being caused by something else.
And, yes stress, nervousness, anxiety, can trigger muscle twitches.

So, you need to take it easy and stay calm, you don't seem to be suffering from anything than cannot be treated with some rest and going out and spending some good time with friends and family.

Regards,

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back