Learn about ALS
Country
pt
State
algarve
City
tunes
Hello everyone

How does spasticity present itself? Would a neurologist detect it up on a neurologic exam?

Thank you
Hronn

HI,with spasticity in umn involvement you would have hyperreflexia(hyperactive reflexes),stiffness and the range of motion of limbs would be limited also clonus may be present.
Other umn signs that go along with spasticity are ........balance problems,positive babinski and hofmans signs.
A neuro can tell on exam if you have umn issues.

Well my neuro noticed it -- she could just tell by the way I walked--her notes say "Spastic gait" and all my UMN signs were present apparently though all I knew at the time is that my legs felt as stiff as a board and had horrid cramps and spasms. As to presentation: My only issues at first were occasional falls from loss of balance and horribly stiff muscles that are in an almost constant state of spasm. Makes me walk funny-though I can walk

As olly said--positive UMN signs show on exam--at least they did on mine.

Olly and notme, thanks for your anwears. Do the legs feel stiff all the time or does it come and go? I feel like something is allways pulling my muscles on the leg, difficult to explain. It started 2 mounts ago, with my hamstrings on my left leg, two weeks ago started on the other one and in my calf.The calf is stiff, but not hard and when I flex the foot the calf is painfull. If this was UMN signs would that spread so fast, I don't think I have any weakness, not that I've felt.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answear me. Anyone else is welcome to jump in to.
Hronn

For me the muscles in my legs are so tense that it seems as if I've been working out to make my muscles all tight and firm--SO not the case. They are just constantly tense--and I'm falling--a LOT. I fell a few minutes ago and smacked the heck out of my head, hurt my arm and my neck.

If you're spastic--in my experience it causes balance and falls. I'm sick of it

Not me--Falls are dangerous!

Notme
Hope you didn't hurt yourself. My grandmother she is 83 she is allways falling, but she is so proud that she does not want to use a cane or a walker. Can I aske you one more question? When people talk about cramps in ALS, is it like Charlie horses cramps and it cramps the whole muscle? Does it only happend at rest or when walking to. The reason I aske is when I walk I get like a cramp(stabbin pain), but only in a part of a muscle, it is like someone is stabbing me, this lasts normaly about 10 sec and in different muscles in my leg over the day. At rest this does not happend, at rest is the muscle twiches that take over
Thank you

Everyone gets ocassional leg cramps and spasms.

Mine aspect entire muscle groups...not just one part of a muscle, but that's me.

...most people dont know they have spasticity, until a neuro tells them.....its more subtle than being just stiff. ..johnny

Johnny is right. The ALS neuro told me.

My legs are spastic mostly when I first get out of bed in the morning, and if I sit for too long during the day. I also have hyperreflexia in one leg.

As others said, my neurologist diagnosed this.

Unfortunately i really dont know the terms but i know my movement is very stiff like im not able to lift my feet properly while walking.

But i havent been diagnosed anything yet.

Spasticity for me is like when you work out too hard and your muscles are tight for the next few days except with ALS it doesn't come and go. Muscle cramps are like bad charley horses. Everyone gets them from time to time but people with ALS can get them in the weirdest places. Don't make the mistake of thinking every twitch or cramp or weird little thing you get is ALS. A Neurologist will give you some simple tests, an EMG, an interpretation of the EMG, and some recommendations on what to do next. You can tell the doc about all your symptoms.

Make sure your Grandma's pride doesn't injure her badly or worse, kill her. Get her to use a cane and when the time comes, a walker and then a wheelchair when she needs it. Take care! :)

Thank you all so much, I have a appointment tomorrow with a neurologist. The cramps and spasm, do they come only when at rest or when moving the muscles? Don't get any at rest.And is there a different between a cramp and a spasm, just trying to figure out how to explain my symstoms to the doctor.
Thank you
Hronn

after neuro exam..he will tell you when you ask his findings......second guessing from google and us will just lead you down the garden path.....spaz can be caused by loads of things....thats if you got it....good luck..johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back