Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
North Dakota
City
Fargo
I'm terrified of bulbar als. This is what I have going on...

Occasional trouble swallowing dry foods. Had an endoscopy & all was normal which means the problem is muscle related.

I feel like I stumble & slur when I talk. It's not constant in that every single word sounds funny but if I'm talking to someone, it feels like I get caught up. When I've asked them if they've noticed, they say no. Husband & mother say they've never heard me slur.

I've noticed a slight tremor in my jaw & chin...and tonight it looks like one side of my bottom lip is smaller than the other. I've never noticed this before but I've never looked that closely so maybe it's always been that way?

These things put together have me very freaked out. I'm seeing a neuro on Monday but would like honest opinions please.

Hey Mom

Here's the thing... This post isn't any different than the post from a week ago--nor will our answers be. I read that your neuro appt is on the 4th of March. That's a few days away.

The swallowing issues you describe are more than likely anxiety induced--as the slurring you're noting is not noted by anyone else, I would discount is as a cause for concern as well.

ALso-multiple posts like this simply tend to annoy most that post here. It helps us keep track of symptoms and progress if you keep it in the same post--as yours is only a week old you could have simply added your concerns to it.

And lastly--if you had Bulbar ALS in very early stages its very unlikely that you'd also be experiencing arm issues as you posted in the first post.

We can't help with anxiety--but doctors can! And we can't say your issues sound like ALS when they really don't--but we are not doctors...we pray your neuro appt will set your mind at ease.

Take care

Last edited:
Thanks. Not trying to annoy & didn't know how to add to my last post. Just noticed a few new things & wanted to get opinions.

At the bottom of the page is "POST REPLY" just like you hit to answer this post...same goes for your first post---hit "Post Reply" works great.

Thin liquids are the main thing that are hard to swallow. Also, if others are not noticing slurring, it probably is not there. Worrying about this is so unnecessary. If you do have ALS, you have it, and there is nothing you can do about it. Enjoy your life now, and what will be will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back