Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
hi
City
hilo
So I had a neurologist appointment - He said the EMG was mostly normal, a few small abnormalities in the C8 vertebrae area, but an MRI was negative. However, that is the shoulder/arm that I have been complaining about being weak for a while (and getting weaker). Now, I'm noticing more twitches and involuntary muscles spasms.

1) Can you do the EMG too early in the disease? I definitely to do not have "clinical weakness" yet in my limbs but there is definite weakness compared to what I normally have. They want to do another EMG in a month.

2) How do people with ALS sleep at night with the constant twitching? My calves feel like they are so tight and with constant little twitches that make it hard to sleep.

3) Can the spasms twitches be all over or typically in just one area. I notice them mainly in the calves but also get in fingers, shin, and upper arms. Both legs are starting to feel weaker espeically when standing, but no toe/feet twitches.

4)Did most who get diagnosed with ALS "know" deep down that they had it even before the official diagnois? I know I'm in the early stages, but I was a very strong 35 year old male, so some of my weakness is imperceptible. For me, I know that I have it from the right arm - used to be able to curl 35lb weights - tried the other day could barely do 20 lbs once.

Why are you starting a new thread that asks the same question that is in you r other thread? It won't get you answers any faster, it makes it harder to keep up with what you want. Trying to read multiple thread is annoying and difficult for those with more advanced disabilities.

Hi, from what i read and what my neuro said I can say that usually when symptoms like twitching and weakness are present the emg shows signs of als even in early stages. My neuro also said that usually when als is present it shows signs on EMG even when patients are still asymptomatic. Anyway everyone is different and so there are also cases where in early stages the EMG are clear for example when the disease starts as a predominant UMN syndrome.
About the spleeping....at the beginning twitching woke me up several times during the night now I sleep very well, my body as become used to twitch and I don't pay attention to twitching anymore.
I'm not dyagnosed yet and I don't know what is it but I know deep down that something is really wrong with me becouse I was very athletic and never tired and now I have problems in walking and standing. I think everyone knows his body better than doctors and knows when there's something to worry about.

Tried to start a new thread - did not mean to post twice. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back