Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
indiana
City
indianapolis
I'm a 59m and I started having symptoms about a month ago. It started with severe cramps to my jaws especially when I laid down and then it continued during the day. These first started to come and go, but now they are more frequent. Also, I felt pressure in my upper spine below my neck and finding it hard to breath. It seems when I eat, some food gets stuck in my throat and it's hard to wash it down. I also started having muscle twitching in various parts of my body, arms, legs, neck, etc. Is this the start of ALS? Thank you for your help and answers! :?:?:

Only a doctor can di ag no se you. Mine didn't start out that way. Make an appointment with your GP and go from there.

Mac,

you have thinking that ALS is starting since 2007. believe me when I tell you--if you had it you would know by now. In fact, if you had it back when you starting thinking that you have it, you most likely would not be here with us today. I know that you will look at the dates on my profile and realize that my husband was diagnosed in 2007. guess what--he is in the 20% still alive after 5 years, but you need to realize that no one goes this long with minimal symptoms.

try to get a grip. you need to find a real hobby and take your mind off of diseases you dont have and be friggin thankful you don't.

Thank you, yes 5 years ago I was dealing with some similar symptoms, muscle twitching and a foot that kept going numb. I had EGG, it came back clean. Since that time I still have had to deal with the foot and now I have these severe cramps in my jaws, that don't let up, food that getting stuck in throat, tingling sensation in upper middle back, muscle twitching. I just was hoping that someone would know if these are ALS symptoms. Just trying to find some answers.. Thanks you!

Thank you, yes 5 years ago I was dealing with some similar symptoms, muscle twitching and a foot that kept going numb. I had EGG, it came back clean. Since that time I still have had to deal with the foot and now I have these severe cramps in my jaws, that don't let up, food that getting stuck in throat, tingling sensation in upper middle back, muscle twitching. I just was hoping that someone would know if these are ALS symptoms. Just trying to find some answers.. Thanks you!

at your age I'd be more concerned with heart issues. They can cause jaw and upper back pain. Have you seen your GP? Please start there. Good luck

No, what I'm experiencing isn't heart related. I feel like my jaws are in a vice, numbness in left thumb, muscle atrophy in hips, I can't lay on my side without having pain. Muscle twitching all over, soft palate has fallen and I can feel my uvula on my tongue. No speech difficulties that I've noticed yet, but with my jaws aching all day and the feeling that something is stuck in my throat is just part of whatever is going on. I'm just wanting to know if this could be the onset of ALS. Thank you so much if anyone can give me some answers.

Mac

You don't want answers; you want the specific answer of 'yes you have ALS'. Nobody here is going to give you that answer, so you are wasting everyone's time and effort. You may have the time and energy to spare but many of the people here don't; it really isn't fair to them to behave in this way...

WOW, such compassion for someone looking for answers. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by asking questions. I thought this was a place of compassion for anyone who needed some understanding and support. Guess I was wrong. I would never want to take someone's time or energy. When a person is going through such anxiety, I hope I have the patience and understanding to try and reach out and help them.

The presenting things seen in ALS are weakness in limb onset (in ONE limb) and speech issues in Bulbar (that are noted by others) They don't come and go-they come and stay.

Pain is not a presenting issue in ALS. As suggested--see a doctor to see what they have to say. If you're having breathing difficulty you should def. see someone soon.

Bodywide twitching is rarely ALS.

Wow what attitude! How rude, people here have given advice and you aren't happy with what they said and yet you get mad. If you have had these symp toms for as long as you say if it was als you would be in much worse shape and would have gone to the dr. these people here are very compassionate, loving, generous, kind and intelligent. They have helped hundreds of people with their fear and anxiety whether or not they have als. What you choose to hear is up to you, but we are not drs and we give our opinion that we do not believe you have als. Do you have a neuro problem? Only a dr can tell you.

Gosh off to mod again...2nd time this morning. Maybe I am in trouble.

Mac

You appear to have overlooked the fact that the need to show compassion applies to everybody, including you. It's not a one way street...

Yes, I agree! Thank you! Never mint to upset anyone... never was my intention. I just like so many who are having these strange symptoms and trying to find answers. Thanks for everyone's help! Trying to get and appointment with a Neurologist, but it's taking till June in my area to see one. Thanks to all of you!

What you are describing sounds nothing like ALS. Mine started with slurred speech that has PROGRESSED over time.
What I have found though is some interesting articles on TMJ...type it into your search engine and read.

Symptoms associated with TMJ disorders may be:

Blinking
Biting or chewing difficulty or discomfort
Clicking, popping, or grating sound when opening or closing the mouth
Dull, aching pain in the face
Earache (particularly in the morning)
Headache (particularly in the morning)
Hearing loss
Migraine (particularly in the morning)
Jaw pain or tenderness of the jaw
Reduced ability to open or close the mouth
Tinnitus
Neck and shoulder pain
Dizziness

I also agree with Notme in that heart conditions can lead to exactly the same symptoms you are describing...See your GP and let them diagnose you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back