Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SWE
State
Skane
City
Kristianstad
Hello! My name is Sam and Im 18 years old.

The last 3-4 months i have had trembling and shaky hands, for example when lifting a cup of coffee (and when holding my fingers at some angles it´s very noticable) and a weird pain in my thumb muscle (thenar) and for even longer (6 months) my muscles have been shaking quiet alot when doing activites like walking in stairs or when im in the gym. Though i have not had any problems during my workout, apart from the shaking. My strenght has gone down but im pretty sure it´s because i have been out of the gym from the past two months (Can still do my 40 push-ups though), and i havent exactly eaten that well the last months (lost a lot of weight, I want to gain!)

But about two weeks ago i noticed i had a hard time breathing, I feel like i have to take deep breaths or gasps, and for the last two weeks my breathing has been manual pretty much all the time and it feels like something is compressing or thightening my chest. I also noticed that i cannot hold a book up when lying on my back without getting fatigue in my shoulder, even holding my arm up without anything in it makes me tired pretty fast.

Im guessing all of this i related to stress or anxiety since im so young (recently quit school, had a girl reject me, worrying about genetic hairloss :p), but still it makes me worried. My grandmother died from ALS so i know what it´s like to go trough it (from a relatives perspective), lyckily for me her ALS was not caused by a genetic predisposition.

So, to sum it up: I quickly get muscle fatigue from light activites. It feels hard to breathe. My muscles tremble pretty much whenever i use them (mostly legs). Stiff and trembling hands/fingers. Cramps in the sole of my right foot and (perceived) difficulty to keep balance when walking. I have a doctors appointment next week so hopefully all this will be cleared up soon. Thanks for reading, and if you have any reassuring (or otherwise) words or questions, please go ahead. :)

Your symptoms do sound like anxiety rather than ALS. I'm sorry for your troubles. In my opinion you need a good going over by your GP. Tell her/him what you've been through and experiencing. Best of luck to you!

Do you know what myasthenia gravis is? some of your symp toms sound like it but I am not a doctor. Go to your doctor and listen to what they tell you. Stress and anxiety can cause alot of problems . I wish you peace.

When you can not do one push up, it will be time to worry about ALS. Until then, please put ALS out of your mind. Good Luck to you.

Myasthenia gravis? it actually fits fairly well. thanks for your respons, I´ll try to keep this entire thing out of my mind until i get an exam.

See a GP. The breathing issues can be something as simple as a walking pneumonia you don't know you have. Let them see if your hands have pinched nerve issues as well. Good luck to you. No, those are not ALS signs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back