Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Myers
Hello all. First off, I would like to thank those who even took the time to open this thread. I appreciate it greatly. I will try to keep my story/symptoms brief and to the point. Im a 24 year old male.

In November of 2012, I woke one day with a very odd set of symptoms. The best way i could describe it would be delayed vision when moving my head and almost a disconnect from my body. I know this is not characteristic of ALS and actually at that point I was considering MS. I decided to see a neurologist who told me that my clinical examination was normal. He ordered an MRI and blood tests. I also noticed an odd pain in my chest sporadically, particularly on the right side which seemed to be worse after eating (which has still continued). The symptoms started to subside so I didnt follow through on the MRI.

Fast forward to the first week of this year. All of a sudden I started noticing widespread fasciculations. First noticed it after eating, felt like fireworks in my abdomin but shortly after spread to all parts of my body, from top of scalp to my feet. I saw my PCP/GP and he noted that my reflexes seemed a little brisk and some neuritis of my eye. He perscribed a Z-pak and Flonaise just in case. I immediately had the MRI. Went back to the neurologist who said my reflexes were as normal as they come, yet I recognize newly formed hyperexcitibility as my body jerks or jumps when something brushes up against me. I've also been experiencing a large amount of cramping in all parts of the body, particularly after excercise. Over the past three weeks I've had two EMGs, one lower and one upper body (none of the tongue or throat). Doctor said no abnormalities. Days before the second EMG I noticed a odd sore throat feeling. I asked the doctor to stick my neck and tongue but he said it would be unnececessary and refuses to perform anymore tests at this time.

Along with the sore throat, I've had my voice crack on me a couple of times particularly towards the end of the day after I've been talking all day (Im a teacher). I went back to my GP because the sore throat had been lasting over two weeks. He perscribed Celexa, stating that my symptoms could be anxiety related if the Neuro gave me the all clear. I've only been on it for 4 days and Ive noticed I'm clenching my jaw (not grinding), and a cramping near the salivary glands, and my tongue has teeth marks (scalloped) along the sides that I've never seen before. I've also bit it a couple of times in the past week.

I must admit, I've been on these boards a lot lately and am not entirely sure if what I've read is causing these manifestations. But my main question is this: I read on this forum that if you have an EMG done after fasciculations start, that it could not be ALS. But I've also seen other sources that tell contradictory stories. Also thought maybe somebody could give insight to other sources. I've looked into BFS and GERD, but didnt think that two issues would manifest together.

Sorry to bother and I know this post was kind of long. Thank you all again so much for even taking the time to read this.

Clean EMGs = no ALS

If Celexa does not agree with you, consult your pharmacist or go back to your GP. There are other classes of anti-depressants out there. Please keep in mind, it can take up to 3-4 weeks until they kick in. If your symptoms persist beyond this period, do see your GP. Most physicians, when prescribing these drugs, would have told you they want to see you in a month. Please be a patient patient and focus on things you enjoy.

My reply went to moderation. Sigh.

I think you should listen to your doctor. You need to stop doing Dr. Google. Give the medication time to work, do something relaxing and soothing.

Stress can do terrible things to your body and mind. It can make everything worse and more pronounced. You are young and the odds of als is very very very small. Go enjoy your life and be happy. I wish you peace.

Gosh Elaine what did we do? Mine went to moderation too. UGH.

What does that mean?

Send me your reply in message if you guys wouldnt mind. If not, Ill wait for somebody to chime in.

Well it means we used a word that triggered the moderator to examine our post and it will show up later after it is approved. Stand by.

Okay, I will wait. Do you think I require further testing? The neurologist assured me that at this time I don't have ALS. But I find my symptoms very odd and am startled by the sudden onset. I appreciate all your time and sorry if Im coming off as impatient.

I think you should listen to your dr and let the meds work. Stress and anxiety is horrible and does horrible things to mind and body. I think more testing will feed the anxiety. But I am not a doctor nor is anyone here, if you feel something is wrong then persue it.

Thanks to the both of you. I greatly appreciate your time. Good advice that I will certainly heed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back