Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
EMERALD BEACH
Not sure where to start. At present I've noticed muscle loss in my right arm and right leg. I'm finding it difficult to walk with my right leg. And my middle finger started jumping around on its own. My muscle feel like they are for lack of a better word feel "sick". I've been seeing my doctor for months now. She keeps telling me it's stress related. So last week I gave her my story. Having balance loss 4 years ago, burning toes, numbness in my thumb, generally feeling unwell. Move forward 4 years I have had a neck problem for over 10 months which has generated to my shoulders. I have been cracking my shoulders now for months. The neck problem seemed to go from left to right at times. But now I feel the worst I've felt all my life. I'm 46, have always been a reasonable healthy man. With a very solid muscular frame. My muscle deterioration is immense. I have basically shrunk all over. Except I notice the huge difference between now my forearms and thighs. My shoulders have lost lots of muscle. What's promoted me to write this is because I am now having twitching in my thighs and other area's but not my arms so far. Do I have als motor neurone disease? I'm now scared our of my mind as I am now have difficulty with controlling my right hand when it comes to small things and I've noticed that I keep kicking my right foot and feel clumsy all of a sudden. My right leg seems heavy. Do it have also? Please help. My appointment isn't schedule for 2 months!

That doesn't sound like ALS. Have you checked out BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome)? It is a condition that causes twitching, weight loss, feelings of heaviness or badness in the muscles, random periperhal things, etc but isn't dangerous. Follow up with your doctor, for your peace of mind, but don't waste the next two months worrying.

Michael,
Please do not jump to the worst possible scenario. ALS should be the last thing on your mind; your symptoms could be any one of a variety of illnesses. Given that it started 4 years ago, points away from ALS (I think) as do numbness, burning and cracking muscles. Is your appointment with a neurologist in two months?

I know it's hard to wait, but do try to relax in the meantime. You could call the neuros office and ask to be added to their last minute cancelation list. Worrying does not accomplish anything and it takes up time that could be spent doing other things.

The best advice I can offer you is that you stay off the Internet; it's not good medicine and will only exacerbate your worrying.

I'm just having so much trouble using my right hand. And have stiffness in my legs and seem to be bumping my arms and hands on everything. Just so worried. Thanks some much for your responses.

And just have no energy. I just wish the gp's where I live worked with some urgency!

Thanks for your thoughts it very much appreciated

I also have just had vibration in my little finger

i once got vibrations in my groin....seen the doc, he said, take your mobile out of your pocket....silly was i not...dont you be daft as me...take some deep breaths and relax ,,,best to you, johnny

Michael

You have 2 separate threads going and in both you are being told the same thing. Relax, listen to us, wait for the doc tor.

Johnny... Johnny.... Johnny you are a scoundrel and I mean that in the most loving way.

johnnythescousescoundrelwiththebighead.....weloveyou.

Have had my appointment changed to the 25 February. Thanks god! Mri tomorrow. Saw a different gp today who was concerned with my symptoms. Though said he was favouring that I didn't have als. Though he did say that my symptoms odd for just nerve probably in my neck. To create what symptoms in do have. Today my right leg is so heavy I can hardly walk. My hand is useless. I don't expect any response just talking to anyone who is there. My right hand is noticeable different in size as is my forearm and right thigh.

Try and relax until the 25th. You are not doing yourself any good by worrying. I know easier said than done. The diagnostic process takes time and you may not get an answer on the 25th. Some people wait months even years to get an answer, it took 5 years to get my answers.

So you need to relax and don't hang all your hopes on this one appt. The time you are spending now worrying is time you will not get back and all this worry won't change the out come. Enjoy what you have now. I wish you peace. Good luck and keep us posted.

thanks Vickim, I'll do my best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back