Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL - Florida
City
Jacksonville
Hello everyone! Firstly, Thank you for this wonderful community and place to talk. I've been reading threads here for a week or so but I've finally decided to register.

My story begins 6 months ago when I was diagnosed with social anxiety and was prescribed 5 mg of Valium a day. About 2 months ago I began slowly withdrawing from the Valium slowly until 2 weeks ago I jumped from 1.5 mg to nothing. That is when a lot of the physical trouble started...

The first thing that happened was widespread Joint grinding and popping especially in my shoulders along with heart palps. I also noticed that I started getting a lot of charlie horses. This didn't scare me too much but then the next day my right arm and leg started doing some weird stuff. My right arm muscles began to twitch and tire extremely easy with any activity and the muscles would tighten and burn like I had worked out. Even using my mouse or picking up the tea kettle hurts now. My right hand started losing the ability to pick up small objects or write without cramping up. Also my right knee is started to pop and bind up making it difficult to walk. This has slowly gotten worse over the course of a week to the point where it has become difficult to function.

The fact that the symptoms are almost all one sided is what is strange to me. Do you think that this is simply benzo withdrawal and I'm just being paranoid or could this be ALS? Thank you so much for taking time to read this and thank you again for providing such a nice place to discuss things.

It sounds nothing like ALS. Go to your GP, let him work it out from there. I think the first thing he's going to do is put you back on an anti-anxiety med, though, anxiety can cause all of those symptoms. But let him sort through what he thinks is important, and put ALS out of your mind.

Thank you so much for your response Tokahfang. It truly has helped ease some of my fears. I've already scheduled an appointment with my GP for next week. I probably will need to go back on anxiety meds because at the moment I'm a nervous wreck...I will try my best not to worry about ALS anymore and will try to relax.

I had muscle seizing problems after withdrawing from benzos. Flexeril has the same effect.
ALS has the very same effect. I have cramps in my quad muscles no matter how much I stretch. Your problems sound like benzo withdrawal and not ALS. You would have other symptoms if you had ALS.

Eileen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back