Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
North Dakota
City
Fargo
Just before Christmas I started having a weak feeling in my ankle and leg. I told my doctor about it but he said all my reflexes were fine & blamed my anxiety. Of course I ended up looking up my weakness online & found all this info about ALS. Shortly after, my hand and lower part of my arm started bothering me...perceived weakness, twitching between thumb and pointer finger. I can do all the strength tests and exercise fine. To top it off, I was eating some cheese a few weeks ago & it got stuck in my throat. I has happened 2 other times and I can only describe it as my muscles not being strong enough to get the food down. It's only happened 3 times so obviously the muscles work. I stuck my tongue out in the mirror and it totally shakes & today my jaw has twitching as well. I also feel like I stumble over my words. My husband disagrees.
The logical part of me says this is not ALS but my anxiety has taken over. I am 31 years old & have 4 young kids so I have horrible thoughts of not getting to see them grow up. I feel like a mess. I have an appt. with a neuro but they aren't able to get me in until April or May...it's January! Any thoughts?

Hi anxious - I'm also a 31 year old struggling w/ anxiety over perceived weakness & twitching. Most everyone on this board will tell you that since you have no substantive weakness, and the fact your twitching developed after you became worried about ALS - then you're probably just anxious. It's probably best that your neuro appointment is a few months out, so if the neuro performs an EMG, the results will be far more conclusive. If you had a Neuro appointment tomorrow for instance, and the EMG came back clean, I guarantee you'd be back within 2 weeks asking if the EMG was conducted too early.

Hello anxious,

From my own experience, ALS does not start as you describe. I had symptoms for over a year before even going to the doctor. I am almost 2 years in, and no choking. I don't know why you would jump to conclusions based on a google search.

I tell you this because anxiety will and can cause twitching, choking and many other nasty things. Take the appointment, but chances are you won't need to keep it. Also, keep in mind, if your doc thought anything was truly amiss, you would not be waiting for a neuro appointment. It would be scheduled very quickly.

Get off the net and get back to your beautiful babies and hubby. They're a lot shinier and oodles more fun.

That sounds logical...and you're right...I'd most likely have a 2nd EMG :roll: The twitching is pretty random and really wasn't the start to my anxiety as much as the strange feeling in my arm & leg on the left side. Thanks for responding!

I know what you mean and relate to ALS and anxiousness.

In dec I started getting pins n needles, numbness in my right hand, Arm nd foot and ankle, through the dy intermittently but much worse t night. Twitchy right eye an thinly nose.
Slight ache in right forerm, arm aches father writing or 5 mins.

Went to gp, then neuro who I'd exam, all fine apart from right ankle had increased tone.
MRI scan of brain, neck and penal noral.
Bloods inclu thyroid, b12 etcall normal.

My neuro phoned with MRI results and said he would, if needed follow me up in six months.
When I asked about nerve studies he said there was no need.

Does anybody think I should ask again for these and Emg.?

Guys, I want to step in here and nip something in the bud: "just anxiety".

Anxiety is a real thing, which produces physical chemicals that flood your body and cause physical symptoms for up to six months. It is psychologically paralyzing. It ruins lives if it gets bad enough, and can be just as disabling as any purely physical illness.

I used to think "just anxiety" myself. Then I started being contacted by those with it who had questions. One, a very good friend at this point, was shocked to discover I was a lot less available than she was. She was so anxious she could barely care for her children, and couldn't leave the house. Me and my powerchair went somewhere every day and got things done. The name of my disease might sound cooler, but it was obvious that it disabled me less than anxiety did to her.

You'd go to a GP if you thought you had pneumonia, you all go to neuros when you think you have ALS, if you realize you have anxiety go to a psychologist! It doesn't stop you from also following up with a neuro, and it could even be helpful to that process. But go, get help.

Wise words, Beky.

I have been treated for anxiety for the past 12 years. I was having medication issues that were causing me to feel restless and probably more anxious so I slowly tapered off & am now med free. My anxiety is no worse than it was when I was on it. My doctor knows me well and knows that I have anxiety over my health...I just wanted to get some input from others that seem to have the same worries as myself. I don't know much about ALS and was hoping someone could let me know if the symptoms that I'm feeling sound like early ALS symptoms.

No they don't.

Ditto what MS. PIE said. If you got to aboutbfs.com, you will find a lot if people with high anxiety and twitching and perceived EVERYTHING. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back