Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
usa
City
city
Ok so my oldest brother paid me some time in a hotel. Cheap place but not outside. Just buying time till i get in shelter.
Most may wonder why i dont live with family.
1. Some too negative id rather be in a shelter.
2. without insurance or medicade no resources in states where they live to get me into neurology withot insurance.
3. i came here (to cali) in 08 after my divorce to rebuild me and my life.
Became my new home.
4. im already on the waiting list got to try and hang in over here.

Well today i was walking and wanted to walk further feeling i have to make these legs work!
But they got so sore and tired after a measly 7 blocks. I was thinking at that point i sure wish i had a assistive walking device. Very unusual for me because im an advid walker. Also got weak and faint felt tingling in my hands and face.
Went to Er with this and severe soreness in my legs.
Doc said no stroke but definitely follow up with neurology. He suspects neuro problem.
He did have trouble with understanding some of my words. We got it cleared up.
So what I would like to know is there a way that an agency would help me get an assistive device before a definite diagnosis of any particular disorder?
Like if my primary doc recomends?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Ysabel

Ysabel,

I am so confused by your posts. You are on a wait list for shelter, but just left a shelter? Your family pays for your cell & hotel room, but you can't stay with them until you get things sorted out? Gosh, even if there's some negativity, I think you can overcome it because you are a positive person. You have a primary care physician? Or are you referring to the medic mobile? If you need a walker, suggest you return to ER doc who saw you and ask to speak to a social worker. In doing so, you may not only get a walker, but also a fast track to housing. If it turns out you do have MND, or similar (which I hope you don't), you need to be proactive in sorting things out ASAP. There are organizations such as churches, women's shelters, YMCA, Salvation Army, to name a few and who may be able to help you. How old are you? Do you qualify for an early pension?
This forum can provide emotional support and practical advice on various matters, but you need to call all the agencies you can and enlist your family's help in order to do.

i do not have als, but i have spinal stenosis, so my walker is my best friend, i go to thrift stores often and i noticed that at most times, they have up to 5 walkers for about 5 bucks apiece, they also have quad canes, i go to goodwill most of the time, i sell on ebay, so i hit them all looking for that one elusive item that will bring me big bucks, lol, good luck, margaret

Ysabel,

I am so confused by your posts. You are on a wait list for shelter, but just left a shelter? Your family pays for your cell & hotel room, but you can't stay with them until you get things sorted out? Gosh, even if there's some negativity, I think you can overcome it because you are a positive person. You have a primary care physician? Or are you referring to the medic mobile? If you need a walker, suggest you return to ER doc who saw you and ask to speak to a social worker. In doing so, you may not only get a walker, but also a fast track to housing. If it turns out you do have MND, or similar (which I hope you don't), you need to be proactive in sorting things out ASAP. There are organizations such as churches, women's shelters, YMCA, Salvation Army, to name a few and who may be able to help you. How old are you? Do you qualify for an early pension?
This forum can provide emotional support and practical advice on various matters, but you need to call all the agencies you can and enlist your family's help in order to do.

Im confusing people because im not well writen so let me try again.
Ok yes I was in temporary shelter 30 days unless you find work or proof of some form of income coming soon.
so now im in a hotel which my brother paid for.
Basicaly its a room with bed 4 walls tv, mini fridge,
And microwave.
Bathroom in the hall so cheap rate.
If I go stay with him (he and his son live together 2 bedroom)
Over where he lives in south fla.... no county funded/state funded neurology. And he cant pay for it.
California has more resources medicaly speaking.
That goes for the other states that any of my family lives in.
Now if I had children under 18 or was pregnant i could get medicaid anywheres.
The mobile medic of saint vincent de paul has me set up for thier primary care clinic, labs, and neurology.
Also i can get low income health (county funded) because i cant get medicade and cant affodd insurance.
California (like i said) is prety good about having resources.
Im interviewing with the YWCA tomorrow over the phone.
The caseworker there (the Y) told me since i cant work i will have 90 days to work on other transisitional housing.
But even if accepted there is a 2-4 month wait list.
So im proactively checking into winter shelters.
I call, go in person etc...

Yes my children and father have made sure this phone stays on.
I explained why my children cant in another post.
Im really not trying to be negative I have many rough days but stilll think of what i do have.
My main thing I get upset about is I just want my strength back and not to be in pain.
maybe I shouldnt have given my living situation here but it doesnt upset me so i dont think about it being agravating to anyone else. Sory about that.
I just need to get better.
I cant stand the confusion i cause people with written or spoken language.
I wish more people (like the dr last nght at the ER)
Would ask for clarification.
Anything i did not answer or any further clarifications needed please feel free.
Many times i am missunderstood.
Sincerely Ysabel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back