Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hello all-

Over the past 3 weeks I have had some weird symptoms. It started with a numb feeling in both of my arms from the elbow to my fingers, with an increased numb feeling in my forearms. The numbness was not the feeling like a limb fell asleep (pins and needles), but more like I had been given a mild anesthetic. After about two weeks the numbness has mostly gone but both of my forearms get fatigued really easily, almost like I have done an extensive workout. My triceps tend to feel overexerted as well. Sometimes I get very mild pain in my wrists. I get some bouts of numbness every now and then but they come and go. I don't have any noticeable loss of fine motor skills, but fatigue is present in my forearms. Even typing this paragraph causes a burning/fatigue feeling in my forearms. I have also had muscle twitches for a couple of years now, usually occurring once every 20-30 minutes in various parts of my body and lasting a couple of seconds. I went to my GP and he thinks it is a pinched nerve in my neck...does that sound right? Does ALS ever present bilaterally? I'm sorry to be posting here if I am way off in my concerns, but I am concerned it may be early symptoms of ALS because my grandfather died of ALS when he was 58, so it immediately came to my mind. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sorry about your grandad- no wonder ALS comes to mind.

As far as I know, and speaking from my own experience, I would tell you No.
No it doesn't start in both limbs at once
No it doesn't feel like pins & needles
No it doesn't feel like a burning sensation

I think your doc is right and stick with/her until you get it sorted out. But please, get ALS out of your mind. It may be helpful for you to read the stickies about weakness too for additional peace of mind and clarification.

Sorry about your grandad- no wonder ALS comes to mind.

As far as I know, and speaking from my own experience, I would tell you No.
No it doesn't start in both limbs at once
No it doesn't feel like pins & needles
No it doesn't feel like a burning sensation

I think your doc is right and stick with/her until you get it sorted out. But please, get ALS out of your mind. It may be helpful for you to read the stickies about weakness too for additional peace of mind and clarification.
Ottawa Girl-

Thank you so much for your response. I know I am overreacting, but after my grandfather it is really hard to put ALS out of my mind. My GP said the exact same thing "put it out of your mind." She mentioned I am statistically too young (29) as well. She even offered to put me on a short regiment of anxiety medication until the numbness and weakness went away. I read the stickies prior to posting but I am still confused as to what weakness presents as. For example typing easily fatigues my forearms when it didn't use to. Not sure if that is "weakness." Anyway, thank you again for responding. Although I was young when my grandfather passed, I remember what he went through. My heart goes out to you and everyone with this disease.

I agree with your doctor. A pinched nerve. An easy fix! But I can see where you'd be concerned. Good luck! :)

If you look through this section, you will see a post started by me on weakness and perceived weakness. Please look at it.

When there is weakness, there is no doubt. Absolutely none. The first thing I noticed was the fact I could not push the door locks on my car to unlock it (It's a Ford with the button combo locks) It wasn't painful or difficult--it was impossible. My fingers did not have the ability to push the buttons.

There were fasciculations at the same time that the neuro noted--and atrophy followed a few months later.

Believe me, when something is weak you know it. Discounting the pins and needle sensation you get when a limb falls asleep--remember if you tried to use the limb before it awakened it was impossible--though for different reasons, of course, the result is the same. You can't use the area til the feeling comes back--or can't use it normally.

Feeling of fatigue in your arms both is more than likely to be a trapped nerve in your neck or one in both elbows or the wrists-but my money goes on the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back