Not open for further replies.

SadsackinCali

Country
US
State
California
City
Visalia
Tomarrow I have my first neuro appt. Just wondering what is gonna take place. What things should I ask? What tests will he perform then and what tests will I have to wait on? Glad that tomarrow is the beginning of getting some answeres!

Here are just a couple of suggestions. List a timeline of your symptoms, make sure you take a list of all your medications with you, make sure the neurologist knows any other treatments you have taken or surgeries, and make sure it's all written down, your head is going to spin. If there is any way someone can go with you, I strongly recommend it. My guess is the 1st step will be a neurological exam of things like reflexes, range of motion, strength, and sensation. Take a deep breath, good luck, and don't assume the worst.
Holly

My first neuro appt was long and a thorough examination. (Iniyial thought was stroke). She referred me to the next neuro for an EMG. (The following week). Lucky for me, the second neuro turned out to be not only the nicest and most compassionate dr I've ever met, but he is also the head of EMG clinic. He did an initial assessment and asked a lot of questions. Then his technical assistant did the nerve conduction test and he returned to do the EMG himself. After that, he met with me and my husband and told us he strongly suspected ALS. He spent an hour explaining more things, which given his busy workload, was astounding and appreciated. Three weeks later, (on a saturday morning), he telephoned me to see how I was faring and agreed to be my dr going forward. I saw him again, 4 months later and again, he spent over an hour with us.

I did not have a list of questions for my first visit - I listened intently. The 2nd visit, I brought my list.

I hope that one visit for you will be all you need and that you will have great news.

Good luck to you.

My first neuro exam was pretty basic, he tested strength, reflexes, balance, walking, and took a past medical and family history. My second appt was a emg/nvc and blood work. The third was a muscle biopspy and the next appt was the results of muscle biopspy and diagnosed. All this took place is about 4-5 months. Now I go every 6 months for follow ups.

Thank you for the responses. I too hope that this is the only appointment that is necessary, but don't want to be too hopeful for fear of disappointment. I will be giving an update tomarrow after my appointment.

Thanks,
Allison

My first appointment is Thursday. Good luck to you, Allison! I hope all goes well . . .

Wishing you well today.

Be sure to keep a list of all tests that are performed, who ordered them, and contact info for the facility that performed the test.

Thanks again for all of the supportive responses, and good luck to petlover on your appointment. At least the initial waiting part is over, I feel as if I'm on the road to some answeres (no matter how long that road may be).

My Dr. did the exam (although not as thurough as I thought it would be). He said that he strongly believes that my symptoms present as stress. Although the symptoms that I am experiencing can be atributed to neurology, he feels that with the way they presented they are psychologically induced. He wants me to see a psychologist and follow through with any t r e a t m e n t s and meds. prescribed, then follow up with a second nero. appointment in 6 weeks (if needed).

I'm gonna do what he says, and worry in 6 weeks if I need to worry. Thank you for all of the support I have gleaned from this forum, hopefully I won't need to come back. The strength of you all is amazing and I will continue to pray for all touched by this illness.

Allison

My Dr. did the exam (although not as thurough as I thought it would be). He said that he strongly believes that my symptoms present as stress. Although the symptoms that I am experiencing can be atributed to neurology, he feels that with the way they presented they are psychologically induced. He wants me to see a psychologist and follow through with any t r e a t m e n t s and meds. prescribed, then follow up with a second nero. appointment in 6 weeks (if needed).

I'm gonna do what he says, and worry in 6 weeks if I need to worry. Thank you for all of the support I have gleaned from this forum, hopefully I won't need to come back. The strength of you all is amazing and I will continue to pray for all touched by this illness.

Allison

Good luck to you. Please, do let us know in 6 weeks... But in the meantime, you would do well staying off the Internet (searching for answers), as this could impede your progress to regaining your full health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back