Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
AR
State
buenos Aires
City
Buenos Aires
Hi, first of all, many thanks for reading and taking a minute to answer this. I am 36 yo female, have been experiencing twitchings in virtually every muscle of my body for one month now. Today went to an ER because I was feeling some dyspnea and found out that my CPK was as high as 544. Yesterday I did some heavy excercise and my muscles are sore but I do not know whether that could explain the elevated CPK. Honestly I am terrified of having ALS or other neuromuscular disease. Can you give me your opinion on this?
I have seen a neurologist a week ago but he did not want to make an EMG, this was before knowing the high enzymes though.
Thanks a lot.
Carolina

Carolina elevated CPK can be caused by many things i.e. inflammation, autoimmune disease, hidden infection, etc. etc. Sounds like you need to get a follow up with your GP. Since you describe heavy exercise, you might want to read about Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, and also read through the stickies at the top of the page. Good luck.

Laurel

I can't add to Laurel's great advice. It could be anything. Least likely ALS. See your PCP.

That is pretty high, but excessive excersise to the point of being stiff and sore, can indeed raise the CPK. Maybe it should be check again in a couple of weeks. That will give you the answer.

. I has hospitalized with a CPK of 900+. I was held for 3 days until my levels were back in the 100 range. My elevated CPK was caused by a hard fall during a baseball game, plenty of diving around, and poor hydration. The doctors in the hospital said my CPK was high but not worrisome if it would go back down, which it did. The main concern with elevated CPK is kidney damage. The Dr. in the hospital said he saw case of CPK as high as 10,000 without kidney damage. Anyway, sorry I got off topic. As I was recovering and I was re hydrating, the fluids were causing twitches in my legs so severe that I became a member of this site. After being cleared by all the Drs in the hospital, 2 EMG's, and 2 Rhuematologists, they all tell me not to even think about ALS. The anxiety I acquired due to my hospitalization defiantly increase my perception that I have ALS. Try to relax and not worry about the twitching or the high CPK. As long as your heart and kidney check out, that is all that matters. The twitching will stop once your mind is off it.

I was brought to this site in almost the same scenario as you. I let my anxiety make me believe not only was the twitching in my legs ALS, but I convinced myself I had trouble speaking and swallowing. The mind is a very powerful weapon, use it for good!

I still "lurk" here because even tough I know it is highly unlikely I have ALS (age is on my side and symptoms, while some are there they can be anything)I can't convince my brain to change it's train of thought. I get results from a muscle biopsy on Tuesday that will hopefully straighten my A$$ out.

Again, sorry for getting off topic, but don't let anxiety do to you what it did to me. It has completely changed my carefree personality to that of a worry wart. If you are compelled to keep seeking advice here, please listen to the experts (I am not one). There are many caring, knowledgeable, compassionate people here that will take the time to answer and give their feedback. Just be smarter than me and take their advice the first time!

Thank you all guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back