Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MI
City
MI
Hi Wright (or any other experts)...Some folks mentioned you were the resident expert on EMGs. I called my neuro's office to ask for a copy, which I haven't received yet, but they did orate the meat of the abnormal findings. I also have a follow-up with my neuro forthcoming in a couple weeks. I could be one of the illegit worry warts that has no business here, since I haven't had the opportunity to go in deep on this with my neuro yet. But if you don't mind, I'd appreciate if you can shed some insight in the meantime. I'll post the full wording once I get it.

- The EMG was done on a variety of spots in my left leg (where most of my weakness and twitching is), left arm, and parts of my back.

- The report noted spontaneous activity in my left anterior tibialis, with no evidence of neuropathy or radiculopathy. That's the only official wording that they really shared, and they didn't indicate anything else as abnormal.

- I pushed a bit to ask if that was a good finding. They said it might be, but it was a "non-specific" finding, and basically I need to speak with the doc on it in my follow-up to learn more. Of course, in the meantime, that doesn't help with my worries.

- I'm particularly concerned given that the last reflex check (SEVERAL months ago, before the EMG) showed a brisk reflex in my left leg. I didn't think much of it until after the EMG. The nurse I spoke about the EMG couldn't give an indication if it was to a pathological extent until I talk with the doc. It's definitely gotten much jumpier than my right as of late. Coup that with my lack of understanding on the EMG...I'm fearing that will mean UMN + LMN from the EMG, and subsequent trouble.

Obviously, I'm hoping your expertise on the EMG can remove the LMN part of the equation until my doc can take another look at the reflexes. I appreciate it if you can, or any other experts who may take a peak at this. Sincere thanks for any feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back