Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
uk
City
U K .
I made and posted with another thread with this but it is not showing up, so I am posting it again. I have some red and swollen toes on my left foot. I have noticed my toes sometimes hurt mildly when I walk for about a week, but have only noticed last night they might be swollen. They have been itchy sometimes. I know swollen feet is a symptom of ALS, but is it an early symptom before weakness? Is it due to paralysis of the foot or muscle wasting? Because I think I have muscle wasting in it but no weakness in it. How long does it take to progress to the whole foot? And is it a sign first proceeding foot drop?

Thank You

I would go to my gp before I started worrying about als. Swollen red toes could mean anything from , circulation problems, diabetes,or gout. Don't worry until you have to. I wish you peace.

Just to add I can still walk on my tip toes with them.

All wheelchair users or otherwise immobile persons get some level of foot swelling - it isn't a symptom of ALS so much as a symptom of having legs that don't move and thus blood that doesn't circulate correctly.

Just to add, can I just ask do ALS swelling in feet come on gradually? I say this because I just woke up and I think my foot looks slightly fatter. However, it still looks like a normal foot. So would the swelling come quickly in a few hours with ALS foot swelling?

Thank You

I think you should ask your doctor. No, swollen feet are not a symptom of ALS.

I got your message but thought I'd just answer here so others can see it as well.

My left foot became very painful in the big toe well before any symptoms of ALS. In retrospect I think it may have been gout. My feet do get to be a lovely shade of purple now, but that's due to the diminished blood flow... as you lose muscle, it affects the blood flow. I had the circulation tested, and took medicine to help the coldness and blue feet, but then my feet got red and swollen every night... that bothered me more, so I stopped taking the meds and use a heating pad and elevate my feet as much as possible.

Could you change your diet, ie salt or fatty foods? I know when we eat out I have swelling in my hands and feet. We don't eat out very often.That would also include frozen or packaged prepared food. Have you monitored your blood pressure?

My husband does not have swelling in his feet. It is NOT a sign of ALS.

I'm so sorry to post that, I thought it was a symptom.

I want to say something else but I will keep it in this thread. I woke up this morning and noticed a dent in my other right foot where I have been having mostly twitching recently. I thought I had Atrophy in my leother left foot but my GP said it wasn't Atrophy. I'm so worried this is Atrophy that has progressed to the other right foot. Has or have anyone had Atrophy that appeared at the same time as weakness? Because I know people have said you can't have Atrophy before weakness, evenon the top of your feet?

Thank You

Your feet have a lot less muscle in them than you probably realize. They are mostly made out bones and connective tissue. You are probably seeing a loss of subcutaneous fat. It is quite common in people with health anxiety, though I've never seen good research on why. If you have no weakness, don't let thoughts of atrophy worry you.

Best to heed your physician:No atrophy means no atrophy. Please seek help for your anxiety.

As an added incentive for you to seek help- I've pasted the recent post from Wright to your other thread - please re-read it and seek help.

Are you "crazycrazyob" because you drive yourself crazy . . . or . . . are you crazy and therefore are named "crazycrazyob?"

Are you kidding me? So let me get this straight. You go to bed at night with the fear of developing footdrop in your sleep, when there isn't a single thing that would indicate that is going to happen. Did I miss something or is that basically the premise of this entire situation.

Undetected calf weakness? What the hell is the matter with you? YOU WERE EVALUATED! If you had calf weakness, it would have been detected . . . unless of course you have very sneaky, deceiving, dishonest calves.

You know what, I just thought of something. Actually, you could develop footdrop overnight if someone snuck into your room and severed your nerve with a knife . . . so yes . . . you can develop footdrop overnight. To prevent this, simply lock your doors and buy yourself a guard dog . . . although the guard dog might bite your nerve and cause footdrop. OK, nevermind don't get a guard dog . . . lock your doors, though.

Alright, so here's the deal: you were obviously evaluated by a physician and got the all-clear. It sounds to me that you might have some type of circulatory problem or you could be sleeping in such a way that your nerve gets pinched, both of which could cause the numbness. It's just that simple. RELAX!

Just to say, the dent is only there when I have my feet flat on the ground. If I stand on my tip toes sit with my feet normally it is not there. Does this mean it is not Atrophy?

Thank You

I know people are annoyed with and I'm so sorry about it but I wanted to ask, does Atrophy sometimes appear where grooves and dents in your foot already are, just making them deeper? I say this because I have a similsr 'groove' on my left foot but it is much smaller and the one on my right foot is more of a 'dent'. It is there where you runyour hand fingers along the knuckles of your foot and bbetween the second toe and big toe on it.

Thank You

Holy Mackeral! Have you read any of the responses? Swelling of the feet is not an als symptom--atrophy is wasting of muscle not dents. you probably have dents because your feet are swollen because you have some other health issue. NOT ALS!

please see a therapist for your very serious mental health issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back