Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
Nottingham
City
Nottingham
Hi everyone,I would like to thank everyone in advance for reading my post!i am currently pregnant with a shoulder of worries for my husband so all advice and opinions are greatly appreciated!
My husband developed a painless limp about 6mths ago that was barely noticeable how ever has progressed to what looks like dropped foot or something similar(the front of his foot does not lift when taking a step)how ever he can raise his foot when asked to and has control of his foot but it just doesn't seem to raise when walking has recently developed a tremor in this leg when it is resti g and again is not painless!with regards to his good leg (the rightine) although he walks normal he complains of it being sore to touch and being sensitive to cold...when we went on holiday and he got in the pool he said it felt like it was burning!his left arm feels slightly weaker than the other and he has recently started having small twitches today.
When at the docs he showed positive for the babinski test on both feet and his reflexes on his left side are over active(if that's the word)they were sensitive when hit with the hammer.my husband has confirm the muscles in his left thigh and left hand feel tight but again no pain!the doctor has carried out the strength tests in his limbs and(he is a muscley guy)he has great strength in all limbs even the leg with the limp!the doctor doesn't think it is a muscle disorder but more of a nerve disorder...my husband is still able to work but the limp progresses.
We are referred to a neurologist but being pregnant and making myself ill is proving to be a nightmare!
One thing I would like to ask is would kuscle waste/atrophy be apprent by now in a leg that's been limping for several months?also my husband has informed me in the last few weeks he has developed a slight tremor in the left hand when he yawns deeply or stretches/....he was placed on fluoxetine for depression 4weeks ago not sure if this is of relevance
I am sorry to post such a long tale on here hoping someone can help me out....I lost my auntie 2 years ago to als and am hoping that nobody can be unlucky enough to experience it twice in their life time
God bless to you all xxx

There is no reason at this stage to even be thinking about ALS, no reason at all. It could be any of a heap of neurological anomalies, or nothing particularly relevant at all. I think probably you have been busy on the I n t e r n e t. Keep off that terrible D R G O O G L E. he is a very bad substitute for a trained professional.

Try and relax until the neuro appt.

I recommend for you deep breathing exercises to calm your nerves. Stress isn't good for babies. Let your husband's Dr. Sort it out. Good luck Sweets!

Thanks for your reply!....I have indeed mr on dr g&&gle and it has simply made me an emotional mess!i am also taking into account some of my aunties symptoms however must admit that she did show signs of muscle wastage ,something my husband has not yet got which I'm hoping won't happen? Are you aware if wastage would have appeared by now after several mint he's with a limp! Dr g&&gle does link the positive babinski with als as the most likely outcome.
The doctor did day he believes the problem to be progressive ouch don't like that word :(
Thank you again for taking the time to read xxx

If he's had actual foot drop for several months, then it would be likely that he would have some atrophy in his lower limb.
Foot drop, causes tripping and early on, you can often hear an audible slap, when walking. Foot drop, can be caused by many things remember.......disc disease etc etc.

I had foot drop intermittently for a couple of years. Other people " heard it" before I was aware of it. It has now gone away. I went through the ALS fear and it's hideous, so I understand where you are coming from.

The I n t e r n e t , drove me crazy. It's a dangerous place to hang out, believe me. My weird symptoms fitted into numerous neurological illnesses. It's a bit like being able to read your situation, life, into astrology readings.

You need to look after yourself, and your baby to be. No use stressing out, when you don't need to.

When you see the neurologist, write down all the questions that you and your husband has. Don't be fobbed off, get them addressed by your doctor. Too many people come here after their neurological review, as confused as when they went in. Believe what they tell you and keep off the computer.

Best wishes

Well after reading your replies I am now wondering if my husbad has foot drop at all!there is a definite limp and awkwardness as this is what initially took him to the doctor however no slapping of the foot! It started as a tiny limp about 5-6mobths ago but has gradually gotten worse to the point where he cannot walk at pace or run but still no pain or weakness that we know of!
The not knowing is by far the worst and the waiting for the neuro apt;( my mind is constantly thinking the worst which is helping no one
I am pleased your foot drop has gone and hope you have now recovered, thanks so much for your advice xx

I think you are Right ms pie I need deep breathing the poor baby must be so seeing what is going on!if I'm honest the thing that has scared me the absolute most is googling the fact that my husbad has a positive babinski reflex i both legs even his good one!i admire everyone I here for being so brave and so see where they find their strength as I'm struggling now before any diagnosis I'm not even certain if als is likely of some other neuro problem
Off for some deep breaths :) xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back