JonS

Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cleveland
Hi all,

I am a 27 yr old maleI have been having symptoms for approximately four months, which began with simple wekness on the right side of my body, especially in my rt shoulder. I brushed it off as i sleep on my rt arm and wake up with extreme numbness for about a minute. Then came along a tendon strain behind my rt knee during a softball game, which again i brushed off due to simply hyperextending my knee. Now a few months later, i have atrophy in my rt calf, softer tissue in my rt forarm, and miscelaneous facilations all over. The facilations began in my rt calf that lasted approximately for a week, then moved to my left calf. They have been going on for appx two weeks, but have subsided and are not as frequent the past few days. I have been to my primary care physicain who put me through blood test and an MRI of the spine that came back fine. My magnesium levels were slightly low and my CK was elevated by appx 30%, but did play two football games the day before (going in for more blood work tomorrow). I have an appt. with a neuro in two weeks, which can not come fast enough. Another thought of mine, is why have i not had any issues with balance, footdrop (considering this seems to have started in my rt calf)? One other thought is that my right eye seems to be blurry when the left is closed? I know that is a symptom of MS, but my facilations are not painful, except for a few misc. shooting pains and pins and needle feelings occasionally. Thank you for your time to read my post and i hope maybe someone may have some insight on my symptooms.

God Bless!

I'd say you're doing the main things you need to do to cope with whatever it is you have - you are going through the medical diagnostic process while continuing your hobbies. Stick with that. You will see the neuro soon, let him work through the possibilities, you work on the day to day living. Too much research, poorly understood, fuels anxiety, and anxiety complicates the diagnostic process.

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof", after all. Don't borrow the burden of a future you know nothing about yet!

Thank you for your time. You are certainly correct with regards to anxiety, i have not been able to do much but sit on the internet and diagnose myself. I know its not healthy, but hard not to. Really hoping this all comes down to something simple. I would like to also note that i had shingles at a 22 yr old, which affects your nervous system. Dont know if this could all be related?

Let the professionals sort that out. The best thing you can do is throw yourself into anything that keeps your attention outside of yourself and away from researching your way into anxiety. Volunteering or some other outwardly focused action would be idea, but even a few weeks of a video game finding the best tower defense strategy or levelling a character would be more healthy than sitting around in a self perpetuating anxious self pity.

To add to my origional post: I have been having pain in my legs that sometimes feels as a burning sensation or a stabing sensation. Also have miscl. shooting pains in my for arm and back. Does this coincide with ALS? The doctor had mentioned that i may have peripheal nueropathy. Does the pain coincide with this disorder? Any advice or knowledge at this point will help, i am losing my mind and analyzing myself every two seconds. Lastly, the twitches i have had seem to not be as frequent, do they subside as this progresses?

Tokahfang: Thanks again for your advice.

ALS is completely different to peripheral neuropathy, so this is good, not bad.

I appreciate that shooting pains, tingling etc are not fun but they are not symptoms which would lead a neurologist to conclude that you have any form of motor neuron disease; quite the reverse. Just keep doing things which you enjoy and take your mind off the anxiety whilst your doctors get this sorted out...

Thank you for the response. As stated before, i have an appointment with a neuro in two weeks. I really want to move forward and figure out whatever it is that is going on. God bless all!

Hope your appointment goes well and you get some answers soon, waiting is always hard.

Thank you for your thoughts. I actually was able to move my appt. up to the beginning of next week. Though i am excited, not much has changed with my symptoms. Just wondering, but what else could potentially be causing these issues? I am stumped as to how i have developed all of these issues without the standard tripping, droping things, unable to button my shirt, etc.? I work out a lot and play football (american) as well and didnt notice any strength changes.

Well i received my second blood test results back, and they all are normal, even the CK. As i have atrophy in my rt calk and if it were caused from ALS, wouldnt my CPK remain slightly elevated as muscle continues to deterorate? Not trying to persuade myself one way or another as my mind is made up, just simply trying to educate myself. Thank you in advance for your response.

For a quick update, I had my appt. with the Nuero last week and went through the standard one hour exam of questions and physical tests. The ending result was simply my doctor thinking that i am fine as i show no signs of weakness or coordination issues. She offered me the opportunity to take an EMG exam if it would ease my mind, but did not think that it was necessarry. This outcome seems extremely strange to me as she could not give me a clear answer of what was causing all of the symptoms. Maybe Myalgia Traumatic she offered to me.?. She did measure my legs and they were identical, which is even stranger because my rt calf visually looks smaller. I am at a loss and still extremely worried. As far as my symptoms are concerned, they dont seem to be changing much. The spasms have seemed to decrease in frequency, but i have noticed my rt foot hurts while walking and cracks a lot. Nothing really visually to see. As a side note,I went to schedule an EMG and found that the cost was out of this world! Guess i will wait this out! Thank you in advance for reading my post and providing any advice that you may have.

Wish all a great holliday season.

People with anxieties that lead them here often see their limbs as having much bigger size differences than measurements show. The brain does funny things. One study showed that people see hills as being steeper if they are carrying more, another that people rated everything as being more important if the clip board they were given to answer the survey on was heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back