Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Holbrook
This past week iv'e been noticing some symptoms related to als. First off I would like to say I'm a 20 year old college student who worries a lot. This whole semester has been a long time of concern for me. The main reason why i'm concerned about als is because my grandfather passed away from it before i was born. As of now nobody else in my family has been diagnosed, but im still concerned because of my symptoms. It all started with twitching at rest, primarily before i went to sleep. This would keep me up for a little until my body fully relaxed. After i noticed this, me being me, went to the internet for answers. I immediately saw twitching was associated with als. Then after a couple of days i noticed tightness when opening my right palm of hand. Right in between the thumb and index finger. I've also been feeling light headed lately and almost dizzy at times. Basically just off in general. I've never been diagnosed with anxiety but this is causing me a lot of stress. I also have lately been experiencing tingling and twitching in my legs and hands. Seems to be most noticable when i'm resting. Normally i'm usually very active and go to the gym 4 days a week. Ive been to the gym 2 times in the past week. Its just not like me, and its taking over my life. These symptoms have flared up over maybe the course of a week and a half. I'm really concerned that I may have this and its cutting into my schoolwork. The docs here aren't my main physician and won't be able to do anything for me. I've also found myself sleeping more often and being tired during the day. I look forward to class ending so that i can lay down and relax. If theres anybody out there that can help me with this i'd greatly appreciate it. I guess you could say i'm an avid worrier, but this is causing me a great deal of stress. Again, if anyone is experiencing these symptoms or know anything about the course of progression, i'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Read about Benign Fasciculation Syndrome instead, you will find it resounds with your experience much more than ALS does. If the anxiety continues, get help - anxiety is often a worse problem than minor neurological symptoms.

I used to work in Holbrook, how is it doing after the hurricane?

Hello Stan

I will start by saying that I'm absolutely sure you do not have ALS. Your symptoms and how they have presented are simply not the way ALS works. I assure you. It really sounds like the pressures of school, the anxiety you are feeling and your undoubted lack of sleep are the culprits. Concentrate on your classes and get through these next few weeks by devoting your energy to school and get to the gym when you can. Once the winter break starts, make it a point to recover by getting lots of rest and recharge your battery. You are going to be fine.

Again, you do not have ALS.

The mind is very powerful. If you worry hard you can make yourself feel anything.

Stan: I was like you and had very similar symptoms. I came on here about a year ago and made a post like yours. I have the twitching, weakness etc. First, I think I have BFS, restless leg, health related anxiety. I do NOT have ALS! I was given flagyl 2 years ago and had nasty side effects, dizziness etc, kept telling my docs and they said it wasnt the flagyl and I kept taking it. Ended up in the hospital with CNS flagyl toxicity. I was assured by a top notch neurologist after MRIs etc that all the sympotms would clear. Have they? Not sure because since then I have had such health related anxiety ( and went through a divorce at the same time) I dont know what causes what. I also had a bleeding polyp which led to low iron and had a varicocele which was killing my T level. Quite the perfect storm. My point is I came on here and thought ALS and got some tough love from members here, including Wright, telling me I did not have it. You do not have ALS. You may have other things going on (ie Anxiety), but ALS is not one of them. Relax and enjoy life!

Thanks everybody.. i needed to hear that.. As far as holbrook goes, a lot of people out of power, not too bad with damage.. Gas is hard to come by. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things.. The twitching has seemed to slow down, but my right hand still seems sort of messed up. It's tight around the gap between the index and thumb..kind of feels weak with weakness in my lower forearm..I just lifted the day before and I dont know if my grip is causing this or not..I've read that damaged nerves in the hand can cause weakness and tingles but i'm still not yet sold that it isnt als. I've seemed to forget about the twitching and tingles. There's no noticable muscle loss that i can notice in the hand so as of now I dont know what to think. i can notice a difference when performing activities with my hands, but it's not stopping me from doing them. If anybody can give me some more advice I'd really appreciate it. Again, thanks to everybody that replied it means a lot. It helped me get through the rest of this week.

Go to your doctor Stan. They can tell you if you have anything to worry about or not. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good Luck!

ALS doesn't cause 'tingles' so, but nerve damage like a pinched nerve does. Different nerves are affected-sensory nerves cause tingles, numbness, etc.

20 yo's that can lift weights don't need to really worry about ALS, but if we're not convincing you, let your doctor try.

Feeling weak but losing no function is a great sign that you don't have ALS. When you see the symptom "weak" on the list for ALS, that refers to clinical weakness. It is not a feeling of weakness, and people with ALS and other MNDs rarely feel weak. It also doesn't mean being poor at helping friends move, it is a specialized medical jargon. A jock and a nerd are both strong in this lingo, 5/5. Weakness causes a noticeable function loss.

It not being ALS does not mean you shouldn't get it looked at, though. My FIL still has not quite recovered from his fight with an impinged nerve in his arm, even after surgery. Early intervention can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back