03/2011
Country
AU
State
Western Australia
City
Perth
Hi All
I'm back on the site after a bit of time off. I was initially diagnosed with ALS 18 months ago. I got a second opinion and the diagnosis was modified to an "upper limb disorder" as I only had lower motor neuron symptoms and only in my arms (predominantly right). After 18 months I am still fit and well (walking 5 miles, cycling 30 miles etc). However, about a month ago I developed distinct clonus in both legs and I showed it to my neuro last week. She wigged out and advised me the diagnosis had reverted to ALS on the spot. In the excitement I forgot to mention that the clonus appeared about 2 days after falling heavily on my backside on concrete. I will get an MRI in due course to check if there has been any spinal damage. My question is does anyone know how closely is clonus associated with ALS, and does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks

It's an UMN sign, usually accompanied by other UMN signs such as pos Babinski and spasticity and hypertonia. Let them do their tests and try to stay positive.

Thanks for the feedback
I was quite surprised how quickly the clonus came on, in both legs and very pronounced.
The neuro thought I might have had a bit of an increase in muscle tone, but if so it was subtle. No other UMN signs.
I must be one of the few people on the planet actually hoping I have a spinal injury.
Otherwise I have had very modest progression in the 2 years since symptoms first occurred (45/48 on the ALS functional rating test). From what I have picked up on this site in the worst case scenario I will continue to progress slowly. I'll count that as a win!
Thanks again

Good luck with the MRI!

Def mention the fall and be sure you don't have a spine injury. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back