Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
No
State
Krakeroy
City
Norway
I am wondering if anyone knows about the importance of fascikulations showing up on emg?
I have twithing mainly in my legs, but when my emg was done, I cold not feel them and the neurologist said that there were no sign of them on the emg. the test came back normal, but the big question for me is: What if he saw fascikulations, would the test be concidered abnormal. I have read somewhwere tatt fascikulation is a sign of denervation, same as fibrillation I think it was..... I do have weakness in the areas where the emg was performed ( right arm and leg) stiff leg, easily musclefatigued in arm...

I am so scared, and it has only been 3 weeks since the emg.

Thank You for answering!

Fasciculations can be found on an EMG and the EMG be deemed normal. This is not an uncommon finding. If you had fibrilations and PSW's and fasciculations, then your EMG would be deemed abnormal . . . BUT . . . the abnormal findings could be due to many, many, many, many, many different things (almost all of them treatable or at the very least, not life-threatening whatsoever).

You had a completely normal EMG (as you stated), so why are you asking these questions? Be happy and move-on with your life instead of obsessing about a disease you clearly do not have.

A clean EMG means no ALS

Hmmm, ok... but is it "clean" if it shows fasciculations? I mean, is fasciculation the same as denervation? I have heard that fasc. if present on emg is to be considered as fibrillations..

Am I totally wrong on this? Thank you for replies!

Please listen to Wright.

Wright should know.

Last edited:
His first sentence answers your question.

Tina,

Please listen to Wright. Wright is a professor at a teaching hospital. He's an expert on EMG's, that's what he does on a daily basis.

You can have twitches without them being fasciculations, and conversely you can have fasciculations without any noticeable twitching. For example, I have minor weakness throughout my hands, but I've never noticed any twitching. The EMG, however, showed fasciculations and fibulations in the muscles of my hands, so it was news to me.

I am very thankful for your replies... and it seems like Wright especially, is well experienced in the emg-area.... I am of course glad that my emg 3 weeks ago was normal, but my weakness in right leg and arm are worse now ( stiff, cold, sometimes buzzing, pins and needles...awkward when walking) and my neuro tells me to do another emg in 6 months if I still have the fasciculations.. Why would he take a new emg if the one I did not show anything? That is why I find it a bit difficult to trust the phrase " clean emg : no als... But of course I want to!:) one more thing if you can help: The only thing on my emg was a bit slow speed in the NCV, I think it was in the nerve from my foot to my back? Anyone knows what this means? The neuro didn't mention it any further....

Thank you, I will try to calm myself now:)

Tina

Tina I had EMG's done in April and again in July (different hospitals). I was told a bit of slowing also (both times-I believe that was the phrasing) but the testing for both were clean. Granted it wasn't six months between, but as I said another hospital for a 2nd opinion. I am "trying" to accept also even though many, many symptoms exist still. I go back to reg. neuro in Oct., St. Louis in November. I am doing like so many on this forum suggest - one day at a time! Wright also answered me earlier and today when I posted. Hang in there!

I had a clean EMG in March and a dirty EMG in August, so yes - it can happen. That still doesn't mean you've got a motor neuron disease. Lots of things can go haywire with nerves or muscles to cause abnormal EMG findings, and it's up to the doctor to interpret those results and figure out the issue. I bet Wright can tell us all a tone more about this stuff, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back