Learn about ALS
Country
No
State
Krakeroy
City
Norway
Hello!

This is my first post here. I am scandinavian so please excuse my english..:) I am a 36 year old female, mother of 4 and recently I´m experiencing strange and scary symptoms. My story started 6 weeks ago with twitcing in my lip. Two weeks later I twitch constantly all over my body, from spot to spot. These days I can see fasciculation nonstop in my legs and calves after using them..
I also feel like my right leg/foot is stiff, gets kind of cold, an awkward feeling.. I can still run and walk properly, but always feel this stiff feeling. Hard to explain, but have to try:? My right arm gets tired extremely fast...holding the coffeecup or remote is causing tiredness an d burning. I can still lift and do the same things, but I wonder if this weakness is related to ALS, did anyone experience the start of weakness in this way. My muscles also seem to have temors after use.
3 weeks ago I did an EMG and Nerveconduction in the affected areas, right arm and leg. The emg was normal, didn`t show any of my fasciculations either, funny enough.. The nerveconduction test was slightly decreased in the nerves from foot to my back. Not sure I am explaining this correctly!
I have done MRI and spinaltest too, which came back normal..
I am so scared now, I feel very depressed..have started on Cipralex.

I would be so grateful if anyone could answer me about my symptoms, especially this weakness thing..
thank you so much for your time,

Tina.

All tests normal so far? How about the clinical exam? What does your doc say?

Hey! My clinical exam was normal 3 weeks ago.. Thanks for answering, it means a lot to me!

TINA

With a normal clinical exam and EMG/NCV I would suspect that MND is off the table.
What does the doc have to say about your symptoms?

My neurologist says that TODAY (3 weeks ago) I do not have ALS, but no garantees of couse. My proble now is that I have this weak feeling in arm/leg... scary!

How are your iron/vitamin B12 levels? The good news is that an EMG will detect muscle damage long before you notice the weakness. Try taking vit B12 and D and see if that helps at all. There is a test to see if you're absorbing the mB12 properly... you can appear to have normal levels, but not be using it properly. Stay positive, the best news is that the EMGs are normal.

heleni :) i would love to know what the test is to check you are using Vit B's properly? TY

Wings,

The Schilling's test is used to find malabsorption problems associated with B-12. I'm unsure of the other B Vitamins.

Sorry, I'm not Helen.

Wings,

Gosh, Golly, Gee Whiz. I got modded.

The answer to your question is: The Schil ling's Te st. It is used to find mal ab sorp tion prob lems.

Also, I'm unsure what te sts are used four the other B Vi ta mins. Hope this helps.

Wings,

Gosh, Golly, Gee Whiz. I got modded.

The answer to your question is: The Schil ling's Te st. It is used to find mal ab sorp tion prob lems.

Also, I'm unsure what te sts are used four the other B Vi ta mins. Hope this helps.

ROFL ROFL ROFL Toto u sound like a kiwi with your goly gosh's and gee whizzies :) :)

Thanks so much thats handy to know!

Helle again:smile:

About the B12 levels.... I did a lot of bloodtests, which all came back normal... About the EMG 3 weeks ago, I find it hard to trust sometimes (the dr who performed it has experience with ALS and the needles were performed where I experience weakness/fatigue (right arm and leg, thigh)... i have read in these pages that people tend to have several emg's ALS following clean emg.... What to think? my weakness feels like my arm gets extremely tired from holding things, stir food, holding the arm in the same position..... How did You first notice symptoms of weakness? Mine is not detectable in clinical exams, lifting heavy intems is not a problem!

Appreciate all answers You can give me!

Love, Tina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back