Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
IS
State
Ga
City
Atlanta
My husband is 30 years old. He started complaining a few months ago that his neck felt very tired. Like, if someone pushed your head down and you tried to push up for about 5 minutes kind of tired. His right arm started to bother him. He had an MRI that found a couple of bulging disks and started Physical Therapy a few weeks ago. The pt actually makes him feel more fatigued.

Now, his left leg is also bothering him. He's having muscle twitches all over and sometimes just has full body fatigue. If he uses a pencil or anything for very long his arm gets fatigued. He can still use his hands and feet with no issues really. And he's been kind of shakey. Shakey like if you take medicine that just kind of makes you jittery. GP tested him for strength and he tested out ok. He asked his doc about ALS and doc said the symptoms COULD be symptoms of ALS. Totally freaked him out! And me as well. When he asked if anything else would cause these symptoms he received a very vague answer.

Referred to a neuro, but won't see him until Sep 18th. Does this sound like ALS? We both have pretty bad anxiety, so this is really bothering us! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Who ordered the MRI and what was their take on the results? Jumping to ALS is a big step and not worth thinking about. There's a bucket load of other much more benign stuff to get through first.

This might sound stupid, but maybe go out together this evening for an Ice Cream. Relax and enjoy a late summers evening. September 18th is when I'm returning home from celebrating my Dad's 80th. I'll go straight to the hospital for a 3-4 hour IV treatment and my regular blood workups.

Totally uderstand your anxiety.
Easier said than done, but try and relax and live like you love life.

If you have it, you can't do anything about it.
If you don't have it, awesome.. you just had a scare, but realize you love life.

ALS is rare, even more rare at 30.
Could be a number of things, most easily fixable, but your Doc tor will be the one to tell you, not the com puter.

Good luck, hang in there.

Casey

Great advice from Casey.... just wanted to add that generally the weakness would be the first symptom, and usually in one area, not several areas in such a short time. The weakness would probably be profound in the first area before moving on. Since that tested ok by the doc, and ALS is very rare, especially in someone his age, think positive! It's only ALS when everything else has been ruled out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back