Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Costa Mesa
I went to the Ortho to look at my right hand that has wasting between thumb and index and left side of hand. The strength test was a 97 on both hands - I was told was very strong. I also have what we think is a large ganglion cyst on the top of my wrist above the thumb. I have also had symptoms of hand falling asleep and numbness and tingling in my hand and elbow. The doctor is sending me in going for a EMG/NCV test next week.

Question - does wasting precede lose of strength or does loss of strength precede?
Question - what will the Nuero be looking for?

Question - does wasting precede lose of strength

No.

Question - what will the Nuero be looking for?

The nerve conduction test will most likely get to the root of your problem. ALS does not cause sensory issues.

Last edited:
I don't know much at all about this but I can tell you from all that I've read that numbness and tingling is absolutely NOT an ALS symptom

If the strength is normal, it's most likely that at some point the nerve was damaged to the point that the muscle died. Now, the nerve has regenerated to the point that it's functioning again.

Remember, ALS is not a sensory condition. Weakness (that comes and stays) is the hallmark, followed by atrophy.

Nerve trapped in the elbow is most common cause of atrophy in that area of the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back