00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
hi all,

just looking for some collective expertise.

did anyone with bulbar onset present with a hoarse voice as their initial symptom? no swallowing or speech issues, just hoarseness.

i won't go into the sordid details of my last year (feel free to read my previous posts, if you're so inclined), but suffice to say i've been very worried about many different issues since last August. i have undergone two neurological exams, and multiple EMG tests (the last of which was last week, on my left leg).

i'm hoping that this latest voice issue is just something else that is really nothing.

thanks for your time.

My first symptom was slurred speechstarting in Dec 11, followed by a raspy hoarse voice that has been with me about 3 months. I have trouble swalllowing. Wish I could tell you something more hopeful!

Thanks for responding.

Does your raspy voice come and go, or is it always with you?

It is better on some days than others, but NEVER completely normal. Maybe that is good news from you.

Mine is only ever slightly raspy, and many times it's fine. I often notice that when it is a little hoarse, if I take a drink or just clear my throat, it's fine.

What sort of tests did you have done to figure out what your issue was? Though I've had several EMGs, even on the jaw, obviously I can't rely on those to pick it up. Did you neurologist notice anything else was at issue during your clinical? Reflexes, etc.?

What did your EMG show?

I have had cat scans, MRI, blood test for everything, and 1 EMG (normal) Scheduled for second EMG this Thursday. I have been diagnosed with Pseudo Bulbar Palsy. But only when my tongue began to atrophy. When I only had voice problems I was diagnosed with dysarthia. It's been a journey. I try to remain upbeat!

Good for you, upbeat is great.

My EMGs showed absolutely nothing at all.

Jamie, were your clinical exams normal, or did the neurologist note any issues?

I had a clinical just under a month ago, and he gave me the all clear.

LL of my clinicals have been excellent. It was a six month process to get to bulbar palsy only established by symptoms. I am denied medicare so the second EMG needs to show something. This makes me crazy.

Post went to moderation. All clinicals clear. Diagnosis based on symptoms only.

Good for you, upbeat is great.

My EMGs showed absolutely nothing at all.

That is a very good thing.

I started with slurred speech, now very nasal and hoarse.

Doc says vocal muscles are tight causing the hoarse sound, and soft palate is the cause of nasal sound.

Good luck,
Casey

Casey, I have missed you. Where have you been my friend?

Casey, I have missed you. Where have you been my friend?

Awwweee.

Thanks jamiem, sorry, i've been out partying lately.

Life is meant to be lived right?

Cheers,
Casey

Casey, you are such a ham! Keep on partying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back