Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Mahopac
Hi all...I am a 25 year old male and the past few weeks have been non-stop anxiety over the possibility of ALS. I have an appt. with a neurologist next Monday and am hoping to be scheduled for an EMG...but I had to come here and write because I am barely even able to sleep I am so stressed.

- About a year ago I noticed when running I noticed a feeling that I could not take a full breath. I still have this feeling, but it has not gotten any worse, and doesn't change with posture/lying down, etc. It's just a feeling that when I breath in deep it's as if something stops me from being able to take it all the way in...this is worse when I exert myself. I was able to run a 7:20 mile yesterday but still have that terrible feeling. I guess my question is, if the breathing problem a year ago was ALS related is it possible I would still be able to run a 7:20 mile?

- My left leg/ankle has been feeling weak the past few weeks (perceived weakness?). I am still able to perform 100% of everything I've done (sprinting, jumping and touching a basketball rim, etc., but it feels weaker and it seems as when I balance on my right leg it is sturdy and I have no issues, but my left ankle seems to wobble when I balance on it)

- A few months ago I noticed I would drop small things here and there (keys, cell phone, soap, etc) along with coming and going stiffness when typing. I've been obsessing over this lately about possible weakness in my right hand and now I am constantly squeezing things with my right hand, making a fist as tight as possible, etc.

-I have also been getting random muscle twitches recently, in no specific places. They have been on my arms, hands, feet, legs, back, etc.

Thanks for any help/guidance.

I can't speak to the ALS part of the question, but it's always good to get into a doctor ASAP if you're having breathing issues. Good luck.

Calm down and see a doctor. ALS is rare and there are so many other things that could be effecting you. You are 25 - enjoy your life. Let the Dr's decide! Sending you hugs.

Well, I replied wishing you well, but it went to the moderator!

Hon, the people here with ALS couldn't run round their own houses. Seriously.

Anyone with breathing problems shouldn't be worried about ALS--but there are a lot of serious things that can cause breathing issues. You need to see your GP and be sure there is nothing heart or lung related going on with you. you're too young for any breathing issues unless you are seriously out of shape or have serious asthma.

Why in the world would breathing issues make you think ALS? It's certainly not a first sign someone would have..and a little weakness that doesn't prevent things like running isn't ALS either. Lord. read the sticky posts and the post by Sadiemae and mine on weakness.

Personally, I don't see anything in your post that would allude to ALS. Have you tried a chiropractor? Sometimes when I cannot take a deep breath my breathing is constricted by my back being out of place.

The more you obsess the more you will notice, believe me I've been there. As someone with a 50/50 chance of inheriting ALS I'm always noticing things that might be the start of it, it was worse right after my mom died but when I put it out of my mind so many of those "symptoms" disappeared.

Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as reading the stickies about weakness, etc...I have read a lot of places, here included, that if you have ALS weakness you wouldn't THINK you have weakness, you would KNOW you have weakness. I would assume you don't go from being fine one day to barely able to lift something or walk the next day. So I guess what scares me is the idea that this may be the beginning that will eventually progress to the profound weakness.

Hello from a long time runner.

In my early thirties I also developed breathing issues when exercising.. My doctor told me I had "exercise induced asthma" - which ebbed and waned with the pollen count. So a quick shot of my inhaler before a long run did the trick and I continued running - my last marathon in my fifties and I only quit at the behest of my knees. Ankle pain can also be due to the wrong shoes or a poor fit - especially if you're doing long distances.

Go see your Dr - like Notme says - ya wouldn't be running if you have ALS!

Good luck and happy trails to you.

Hamdog,
The future has no guarantees. See your doctor and listen to them... My husband can't walk 72 feet without his cane and has very little muscle strength, he's opposite what your symptoms are and he HAS ALS.

Jen

are you kidding....you can run...then there aint nowt wrong witch cha........johnny....

I guess I figured towards the beginning you still may be able to run/jump, etc. like normal and as it progressed you would not be able to do these things anymore. I hope you guys are right! Thanks for the replies.

Nope. If you can notice the weakness then you won't be running.

As my husband is struggling with air hunger, and can not walk even one step, I will refrain from commenting.

if I could even stand up, not fall over and then take a couple steps...I would jump for joy (but I can't jump either.)

Anxiety meds could be helpful to you. Best wishes and please enjoy your life!

You in no way shape of form have ALS. You should see a doctor though for the breathing issues and all. Good luck and please get off this forum and live your life. ALS patients definitely can't run and most of the time have trouble even walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back