Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Blah
City
Blah
Hey guys,
Just a few questions, hopefully you can help me. 27.M, I started to get BFS twitches years ago, they come and go, I am not too worried as they rarely happen anymore. It seems less stress = less twitches. Anyway, I've been going through a somewhat stressfull time in my life right now and it seems that I have a weird throat sensation, which brought me back to all those frightening stories I read in the past about bulbar onset ALS.
It is almost like the back of my tounge is tensed up (almost as though I am trying not to vomit, if that makes sense). Also my tounge/throat muscles feel somewhat tense/tired. It started about last Wed/Thursday. When I am sleeping I am fine, and for about the first 1/2 hour after I wake up I am fine. But then after doing a few chores and what not it seems to start again. Also, when I am preoccupied I do not notice it at all. I know many of you will say I just answered my own question but it is so much harder when you're in this situation just to tell yourself "it's okay, nothing serious". It also makes it harder since I read an article that said "If one experiences spasticity and weakness while talking or chewing food and have an odd feeling in the tongue or mouth region, it is better to get it diagnosed. "

My question is... with bulbar on set does symptoms come and go? I've also read in a few threads here, that stress can cause the tense throat/neck mucles and that bulbar onset wouldn't come on that fast. Is this correct? I am experiencing no twitches, and my tounge seems okay. I am not having any troubles swallowing or eating but I am paying more attention to my speech lately, I do not think its any different but any flub up makes me worry.

I've seen a doctor which diagnosed me with a sinus infection and prescriped me antibiotics. However, I've been on them for 3 days now and while the back of my neck muscles aren't stiff, I still notice them in my throat. I am wondering if this is stress induced or something more serious? Obviously I will go back to the doctor but just curious if anyone else had these sensations and turned out to be nothing.

Thanks,
CM :?:

Sorry also wondering if those with bulbar onset ALS, if the symptoms go away at night when sleeping/laying in bed?

Hi from Ottawa -

I'm no expert - but I'm thinking stress! As far as I know (which is very little) - symptoms don't come and go. Since you've having a sinus infection - could be that too. Antibiotics are not instant acting either. Go back to your doctor once you're done with the pills if symptoms persist.

ALS symptoms never come and go. Once the muscles is dead,it is dead, and it can not heal it self.

My hubby's symptoms never let up... even when he is asleep, he still swallows a lot and coughs :(

My throat feels normal. When I swallow something, the muscles responsible for swallowing simply don't work properly. I end up with it in my sinuses or stuck in my throat. I can count on this same malfunction every time I swallow. I don't yet know the underlying cause for my neuromuscular issues, but suffice it to say, true neurogenic dysphagia doesn't wax and wane.

Thank you so much for all your replies! I wish you guys all the best, hang in there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back