Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ohio
City
toledo
First let me say hello and thanks to all the people who help on this forums. I have spent too much time reading them :D I am 37 male- 35 when the speech issue started. I got a clean brain mri. When I asked my ent about als he replied with "what are the odds of that". He eventually said I have acid reflux, which I do, tmj and a deviated septum/ sinus troubles. My speech worries me greatly though. Its been a year and a half plus and my problem is my tongue seems to quit mid word or get snagged a great deal. Not really slurring but it bite it more often now, its seem sore a lot and I notice it hitting my teeth and the roof of my mouth back by my throat a lot. Its not always there and seems to always be accompanied by sore throat, difficulty swallowing...but its not all day. My tongue also gets very sore and just feels odd sometimes. I can still tent my cheeks, hold my tongue outside my mouth, push hard against the roof of my mouth, it doesn't feel weak to me, maybe swollen or clumsy sometimes and sometimes my speech is flawless but I am terrified. Sorry if this seems a waste of time, I just don't know what to think.

Have you gone to your dentist? My husband had many of the same issues with his tongue, but they got worse to where he can't stick his tongue out, move it side to side or up to the roof of his mouth. He no longer speaks at all. The fact that you can do all these things plus tent your cheeks says you have another issue, not ALS. Get a referral to an ear nose and throat doctor as well. You can still eat and swallow as well... Not ALS

Jen

My dad passed from bulbar pasly, about a year after he passed I noticed when I was singing in the car(by myself,horrible voice)and noticed my voice going in and out. I was very worried put off going to the Doc, figured if I had what dad did I did not want to know. SO after 6 months of worring I went to the E.N.T. he also said acid reflux was damaging my voice box and gave me Nexium, it heals the damage.
With my dad his Bulbar started with his words slurring like he had a stroke or he was drunk and just got worse and worse. They also though he had the Metho Gravix thing, )where the highway from the brain to the mouth is missing a link like the dymino effect with one missing)
I did not realize the acid reflux could cause suck damage til a friend almost died because the acid ate where the stomach and such attach together and she was bleeding out. Could be worring for nothing. Good Luck:)

I have a healthy friend who's voice was damaged by a combination of acid reflux and sinus problems, she's finally getting back to normal, and able to cantor at her church again. Work on that, and I bet your inconsistent problems vanish, too.

I don't think any of your symptoms are ALS related at all. I think you definitely need to be checked out my a ENT though. It sounds like its reflux or something that could be treated fairly easily. Good luck to you. Hope you feel better soon.

thanks guys. Sadly I've read way too much dr. google and it has me focused that als is the only answer. But your reassurance is appreciated

Please leave that doctor alone and get yourself to a doctor.

We did the dentist, oral surgeon, ent, speech therapy before ALS was even considered... It's too rare!

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back