Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
O
City
O
I noticed a thumping twitching in different areas of my left foot that started about 3 weeks ago. It probably only twitched once every few days, until it was followed by a left calf fasciculation that I couldn't feel but only see. Since then around two weeks past until I noticed a fasciculation that I couldn't feel but only see in my left calf again. Is this frequency typical of initial symptoms of ALS? Could it be anxiety?

It could be any number of things. Usually fasticulations come after weakness, as it is the muscles trying to repair itself. A good site to go to is aboutbfs.com. BFS stands for benign fasticulation syndrome. It is an excellent site that also has a chat room.

Read about BFS please. ALS is much more than twitching.

Your queries have already been answered previously. Please stick with one thread and listen to the advice given. A few twitches is common and means little if anything at all, in the absence of any other meaningful symptoms.

I'm really sorry to post with more concerns but I thought i'd comment on the same post instead of making a new thread. Does this frequency and localisation still have the possibility to be benign and from anxiety? I will fully admit that I have a health anxiety disorder and am sorry to plague your board with my concerns, but to give you some backstory. For around 10 months I have suffred from joint pain when exerted and since March I had a pain when breathing in my chest which they assumed muscular of some kind. In my hypo head I then assumed I had some muscular disorder, so was googling muscular disorders like a freak and came across ALS. I soon discovered these were not typical symptoms of ALS, but I read tge symptoms anyway and still worried. Probably the same day I read about fasciculations I noticed a thumping beat in my foot. Then the fasciculation pattern continued as I said in my first post. I seemed to be unworried for 2 weeks and then as I began googling again I had another worrying calf fasciculation. So basically, I know I have health anxiety and will definately get it sorted because quite frankly its taking over my lige, but does this sound like ALS fasciculations or can anxiety present itself in the way these have?

Also, I apologise in advance because I feel no doubt this will offend someone in some way, but that was not at all my intentions. I can guarantee I will delete my account after this and get help because I know its nit right or fair to seek reassurance from people on these messageboards.

It's imperative for you to get the health anxiety sorted out.

Def get help with the anxiety. Now, that said--remember that even those with health anxiety and even hypochondria doe get SICK. The problem is--doctors stop listening to them, unfortunately.

Def anxiety can cause the twitches you're having--but so can vitamin deficiencies. So, be sure it's not something along those lines, then see the BFS place if they continue.

Fasciculation happens as the other nerves try to 'feed' a muscle that has lost it's connection to the normal path of 'food'. (Trying to make it easy to understand) The 'twitches' we feel are the body attempting to 're-nerve' the area again. There is normally weakness (real weakness, not a 'feeling' of weakness, before twitching starts.

So, if the twitches continue, then see someone for some lab work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back