Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
I'm still in the diagnosis process having seem 2 neurologists so far and ran 2 tests (MRI and EMG). It all started last August with a severe sciatica cuased by a large herniated disc onthe lower back. In January my legs started to weaken with muscle atrophy. I had a disectomy surgery to decomress the disc in March.

Since then, both my legs have continued to weaken and have also started to shake violently when I walk and make an effort. My left leg even kicks to the side maling it very hard to walk even with a cane. So far neurologists have not really noticed significant arm tremors.

I was wondering if MS, ALS can affect only the legs very significantly with partial paralysis and tremors without other symptoms ?

I am sorry you are having these problems and I really don't have any input on the partial paralysis and tremors since I am fairly new to this disease. What were the results of your NCV/EMG?

I am sorry you are having these problems and I really don't have any input on the partial paralysis and tremors since I am fairly new to this disease. What were the results of your NCV/EMG?

My MRI showed a few lesions but not enough for a definite diagnosis and my leg Emg came back normal.

Did they do an MRI of your spine to check for lesions there?

Are they considering doing a lumbar puncture? That is what I would request next. Do you have any problems with your eyes like optic neuritis? Just remember...I am not a doctor...just a nurse. Keep us posted on how you are doing ok? We cannot diagnose here but we can offer support.

As far as I know MS, especially progressive types of MS, can completely do that. Keep following up with your doctor! And if you can't walk safely for long distances... a cheap wheelchair could go a long way for extending your range. You don't have to use it all the time, or most of the time even, but having one can make some things a lot easier.

Sounds much more like MS symptoms than those of ALS. Lots more tests than jut an MRI can be done. Evoked potentials and spinal come to mind.

Is it at all possible it's residual damage from your surgery? Continue seeking answers and avoid falls. As Toka suggested, a wheelchair or walker might be in order if you're falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back