Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Tyne and Wear
City
Newcastle
Hello all,

Firstly I'd just like to say that I have great admiration for so many people I've came across on these forums, it is truely inspirational. I appreciate that many of you are living with ALS and my heart goes out to each and every one of you, I've been moved to tears many times over the last couple of days.

I'm 22 and from the UK and have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for a number of years and lately I feel as though I'm heading towards depression.

I understand the chances of my symptoms being related to ALS are tiny, but as anyone who has suffered from anxiety will know, just knowing that doesn't always help. I have also read all of the stickies, and many other posts, but they're not really helping put my mind at rest.

Two weeks ago, I developed a constant twitch in my left calf, it has been 24/7 solidly for the two weeks. I can mainly just feel it, it feels like a crawling sensation under my skin, but I can often see it if I look for it. I do not have twitching any where else and I don't seem to have any weakness.

All I'm really looking for is a bit of advice on what I should do? I've mentioned it to my GP on the back of an appointment for something else and she didn't seem concerned, maybe I should visit her solely for this symptom?

Thanks for taking time to read this, I know it may sound silly, especially compared to what others are going through.

Much love to all :)

Hello Bellina,

I understand anxiety! Been there - done that. I personally don't think you ought to fret - lots of people have twitches from time to time. Please, go back to your physician if you concerned - I am certain you will get the answer and be reassured. Anxiety can do strange things to our minds and bodies. You are young and have a whole life ahead of you! Take each day as it comes and resist the negative thoughts as best you can... eventually, positiveness will take over and you'll be well rid of nagging useless thoughts.

Let us know what your doc tor tells you and thank you for your caring remarks.

No weakness=no ALS

Hello Bellina,

I understand anxiety! Been there - done that. I personally don't think you ought to fret - lots of people have twitches from time to time. Please, go back to your physician if you concerned - I am certain you will get the answer and be reassured. Anxiety can do strange things to our minds and bodies. You are young and have a whole life ahead of you! Take each day as it comes and resist the negative thoughts as best you can... eventually, positiveness will take over and you'll be well rid of nagging useless thoughts.

Let us know what your doc tor tells you and thank you for your caring remarks.

Thanks Elaine, I appreciate your reassurance. Everywhere I look it says that localised twitching is the one to be concerned about, so that is really fuelling my anxiety!

No weakness=no ALS

I know Deb, the little devil on my shoulder just keeps reminding me of the few who experience twitching first!

Much love to you both, thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Your age and the fact that you have had ONE limb twitch for a few weeks likely means nothing, dear. You're worrying for nothing. ALS is normally seen in adults over the age of 50. Yes, it can happen younger, but it's very rare.

Everyone twitches from time to time. It's possible anything could have irritated that particular muscle--from sleeping on it wrong to a pinched nerve somewhere to just a random thing you happened to notice.

I'd gladly trade you my atrophied arms...and in mine, the twitches were AFTER substantial weakness--but before the atrophy. So, with no weakness, I'd bet a dollar you're fine.

If it progresses or worsens or causes other symptoms, check with your GP. Vitamin deficiencies are the most common cause of twitches that aren't simple BFS.

Hi
You've got some very good doctors and some very good hospitals up there so you can be confident that you'll get it sorted.
Of course, the fact that a close member of my family went to Medical School up there is entirely irrelevant and I am not biased in any way:)

your so very young its probabaly all anxiety . please talk to your mum amd doctor about your feelings . My guess its some other fear that your not realising thats bothering you.
Please dont channel it into ALS. It would be very very unlikely almost impossible.Take care and talk to those who love you
god bless margaret

Hi
You've got some very good doctors and some very good hospitals up there so you can be confident that you'll get it sorted.
Of course, the fact that a close member of my family went to Medical School up there is entirely irrelevant and I am not biased in any way:)

We do have great doctors and hospitals! The amazing staff at the RVI did an amazing job of saving my Mam's life just 5 weeks ago, I won't be forgetting that any time soon!

your so very young its probabaly all anxiety . please talk to your mum amd doctor about your feelings . My guess its some other fear that your not realising thats bothering you.
Please dont channel it into ALS. It would be very very unlikely almost impossible.Take care and talk to those who love you
god bless margaret

A massive part of me believes it is just anxiety, but that is the thing with anxiety isn't it, it just takes over, the 10% of me that thinks it could be ALS is dominating. I've been chatting to my doctor and a couple of others but I've been trying to not let my Mam see how anxious/worried I am as she has been very ill herself recently (but is thankfully on the mend). One thing I wouldn't change about my anxiety is how it opens my eyes to what people are going through, there are so many amazing, strong people out there!

A lovely lady on here has pointed me to a chat room for fellow twitchers as a result of this post and I really couldn't thank her enough.

Thank you all for your kind words, I really, really do appreciate them.

Your age and the fact that you have had ONE limb twitch for a few weeks likely means nothing, dear. You're worrying for nothing. ALS is normally seen in adults over the age of 50. Yes, it can happen younger, but it's very rare.

Everyone twitches from time to time. It's possible anything could have irritated that particular muscle--from sleeping on it wrong to a pinched nerve somewhere to just a random thing you happened to notice.

I'd gladly trade you my atrophied arms...and in mine, the twitches were AFTER substantial weakness--but before the atrophy. So, with no weakness, I'd bet a dollar you're fine.

If it progresses or worsens or causes other symptoms, check with your GP. Vitamin deficiencies are the most common cause of twitches that aren't simple BFS.

Thanks for your reassurances Notme, especially in all that you are going through yourself. It is truely, truely appreciated. :)

bellina, the chat room is at aboutbfs.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back