Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Orange Park
I saw my gp earlier this week to discuss my symptoms so she, moved my ncs to later in the afternoon. I went with, my mom and the neuro doctors were very nice. I told them of the symptoms, about swallowing issues and, how my legs feel hypotonic and weak and twitches and the smell and taste changes. butbhey ran the test and everything came out fine apparently. they believe itssychosomatic, so ill humor that notion for now and see a therapist and see if any thing improves. however my gp believes without a shadow of a doubt it isn't als. I respect their findings and I wish this could all go back to normal. this is more, of a vent than anything and what hurts the most is my loved ones cannot see what I'm going through. pardon my ignorance but isan emg where they sick needles in muscles our is that something else? I'm trying to calm down but I'm frustrated at the lack of emotional support. that's the only thing that makes me cry. sorry if this is inappropriate and sloppy my phone can't format well. I should probably keep a journal of all the things I feel during the day. thank you all so much. I need to be patient and more adult I guess.

Did you read any of Kmendsleys posts? I think she is your long lost twin. Do you still your Appt on July 3. Amazing good luck you got your EMG so soon.

I don't know about her posts. but i would like answers eventually regardless of what it is. among all these things my legs feeling the way the do is the most concerning. they're too soft. not normal. I know it seems like a joke but I just want to know from my doctors.

Go to aboutBFS.com There are a lot of folks there who have your same symptoms. We told you we did not think ALS, just like your doctor did. There is Nothing more we can Tell you, but the other place will help you

my gp, got a referral sooner BC my symptoms changed so suddenly. it was initially at neurology associates in my town but neuro Dx by the hospital took me as an add on for that day. I know it seems strange and sudden but please give me the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think my response went through? gp got me a referral for that afternoon at neuro diagnosed by our hospital. I would ve been fine waiting but she felt there was an, urgency,I, guess since patients can't demand referrals

Please feel free to come back here after you visit the site I suggested to you. Let us know what they say. Until then, all we can do is tell you we do not think you have ALS. It is clear you have something going on, and they have a lot of knowledge about other things it could be.

Sweetheart, you are very young. ALS just isn't what you have going on. All your issues are sensory. The sensory nerves affect things like tingling, feeling numb or 'off'.

ALS affect motor neurons, which feed muscles. Please believe that this would show abnormality in your clinical exam. If the NCV was negative, that means there is no damage to a nerve, which is also a good thing.

I'm guessing you have not had an EMG (the needles) but nothing in your symptoms seems to warrant one at this time.

Let me add here that even with admitted issues with health anxiety, that does not mean that something systemic is not going on. As Patricia said in your last thread, it almost sounds like auto-immune in nature or even viral.

Sense of smell and taste are NEVER affected by ALS in any shape or form.

My point here is rhat while we all, including your doctors, don't feel ALS is at all even a remote possibility, it doesn't mean something else isn't.

The mind is a powerful complicated part. Psychosomatic is not 'faking it'. It is a psychological response that your mind turns into physical manifestations which you have no conscious comtrol over. It can also be anxiety fed. You have become hyper-aware of your body at this point. Please do follow up with the therapist. It just may help.

I'd also like to mention the possibility of Fibromyalgia. For years, the doctors considered it psychosomatic. It is omly in the last ten years or so that it is taken seriously. It can cause a wide variety of both sensory issues, as well as pain.

If you drink a lot of soda, I suggest trying caffeine free.vcaffiene can cause benign twitches.

If you feel as if you are losing muscle tome,cperhaps you are! If you are not eating properly, the body protects itself. It will take from non-essential things, like muscle,cot nourish the organs.

So, all in all, what I am proposing is the possibility that you have something going on...just NOT ALS.

I live in Orlando. I'd be happy to meet you for lunch to talk. Even hypochondriacs can and do become ill.

Proper nutrition and proper exercise are essential to feeling good. Please take care of yourself and try not to worry about ALS anymore. Many of your symptoms, even the ones in your legs and the taste can be side effects of the Bell's Palsy. Did the doctor not explain that to you?

Bells palsy can also mimic Lyme disease. Honestly, my thoughts are that your symptoms are very real and have been caused by the Bells Palsy. It's a falicy that it only causes the facial paralysis. To ease your mind, do some research on it.

Last edited:
Why is your status that you "are in the process of being diagnosed with ALS"? Is this based on your medical opinion. Do as the others have mentioned and check out the sites they suggested. Nothing you have described sounds like ALS to me. Most importantly it does not sound like it to your Doctors.

Lalebot,

As notme said, the mind is all powering. Do as the others said. Read or go to A bo ut B F S and check out the folks there. They do have instant ch at, so that may get you some answers going. As for other maladies, keep following up with GP.

Good Luck to you and I pray you can move forward,

Almost every symptom she has is associated with Bells Palsy.

Wow, a reply with only ten words and it gets moderated. It's really getting annoying.

If a doctor told me l definitely don't have ALS I wouldn't look back . You need to relax .

Enjoy that emg your pushing for .Ouch!

Hopefully you will believe the results and enjoy your life

patricia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back