Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Manchester
Right I am worried about a couple of things and worried it could be the start of ALS/MND.

Firstly, Around 3 weeks ago I developed a twitch in my upper lip on the left side, this twitch still hasn't gone away, it's very persistent and sometimes twitches when I talk or eat or smile and makes my lip feel kind of fat but other times it twitches when my mouth isn't doing anything, and some days it twitches hundreds of times, I am worried this could maybe be the beginning or maybe the bulbar form.

Secondly, I have a bad twitch in my right hand on the palm area near my right thumb, you can see it twitching under the skin, I have noticed this in the past 10-14 days, now I also noticed that sometimes I seem clumsy and drop things and my skin kind of looks atrophied in that area, It does twitch almost non-stop.

Now I am a 31 year old male but I am very worried about these symptoms.

Hello. If you've read the stickies, you know twitching does not ALS make. As for atrophy, it doesn't affect skin. It affects muscles. I'd suggest talking to your GP to see if perhaps you have a pinched nerve somewhere affecting your hand. Ulnar nerve trapped is the most common cause of issues in the thumb/forefinger.

If there was atrophy, there would also be some level of function loss.

ALS kind of works like this:
1. Clinical weakness
2.loss/diminished function
3. Atrophy

The fascis seen in ALS are caused by muscles trying to repair themselves. Thus, almost always seen with some level of dysfunction.

Let me close by saying you should see your GP, as if it's a simple nerve trapped, the sooner it's fixed, the better the outcome.

Good luck

Last edited:
Please do us a favor and read the first 5-6 threads in this section called stickies. There is also another one that is entitled A L S OR B F S. Then come back and ask your questions. A few twi tch es and a look of a tro phy is nothing I would be concerned about. So take a few minutes to read and then decide if you want to post. When you do post, post everything at one time. Please do not add to the list if we start removing the per cei ved sym pto ms.

Also, make sure to write in small paragraphs for us to be able to read better.

Thank you.

Golly gee, notme. We were posting at the same time.

If you are as worried as you say you are, I suggest you see a Dr rather then consulting with non medical professionals on an online forum.

Personalized Plan of Action for Veryworried:

1. Stop consulting the internet and asking strangers online to diagnose you.
2. Consult an actual real life doctor in person.
3. Go have any tests the doctor asks you to have. Stick with any treatment plans he/she gives you.
4. If you do not like the answers/treatments provided by this doctor, go see another one for a second opinion.
5. Come back after you have completed steps 1-4 and let us know what happened.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back