Is prolonged muscle soreness a sign of ALS/MND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishRose

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
K
City
K
First of all, i'd like to say thank you to anyone who takes their time to answer this :).

I have noticed recently that it only takes a small amount of activity to make my muscles feel strained/sore the next day. For instance, on Saturday I was walking round London/standing on tubes for hours and tbe next day both my arms, legs and one shoulder felt very sore/strained. My legs in particular (especially my left) still feel very sore today. So basically, do muscles that strain easily ondicate ALS? Is it a sign of muscle weakness? And also, out of interest, are joint pains when the joint is exerted a sign of ALS too?

Thank you once again.

In my experience, muscle soreness was not an indicator. Muscle cramps, AFTER I had drop foot, was. Muscle weakness is not to be confused with pain, it means you can't move a muscle, not that it hurts to move it.

So no, IMHO, doesn't sound anything like ALS to me.

Not if they are the muscles you haven't used or if you over did while on vacation

I couldnt hold my infant grandchild without soreness the next day..

Patricia

Patricia.. When you indicated that you could not pick up an infant without having soreness the next day... Was that an early sign of your als? I experience extreme soreness in my forearms most mornings and then this does seem to subside as the days goes on.. this usually occurs daily. I have also noticed this as well a tightening feeling in Right quadricep as the day goes on.

I am scared this among many other symptoms noted in my past posts that this is ALS. I have had one negative EMG, with the neuro stating minimal non significant, no diagnostic findings.

Opinions? Another follow up is scheduled for this Wed with my neuro .. scared

Scared, you need to keep your questions in your thread and not hijack threads of others.

No, pain isn't a presenting symptom of ALS

English,

I didn't have muscle soreness either. I also believe maybe a litle too much vacationing. Especially when you mentioned the arm. And I imagine being in London, you were thinking more stylish than comfort. I know I would be guilty of that.

Take care.

Scared, your appointment is 2 days away. You can ask your doctor then.

And whilst London is a wonderful place, Saturday means we are packed out even more; I try and avoid the tubes because I'll end up bruised from fighting my way on and off the trains!

Hi

No, muscle strain isn't indicative of ALS. Muscle weakness is an inability to do something, such as open a bottle or button a shirt or a foot that drags because the ankle muscles do not work.

Joints are not affected by ALS either. Some with ALS get joint discomfort...but it's due to serious loss of muscle and added strain on the joints to compensate for that lost muscle.

There are things that can cause residual muscle fatigue,so check with your doc if concerned, but nothing in your post sounds like ALS to me, either. Good luck.

Patricia.. When you indicated that you could not pick up an infant without having soreness the next day... Was that an early sign of your als? I experience extreme soreness in my forearms most mornings and then this does seem to subside as the days goes on.. this usually occurs daily. I have also noticed this as well a tightening feeling in Right quadricep as the day goes on.

I am scared this among many other symptoms noted in my past posts that this is ALS. I have had one negative EMG, with the neuro stating minimal non significant, no diagnostic findings.

Opinions? Another follow up is scheduled for this Wed with my neuro .. scared

No I started with slurred speech the arms was five years later

you need to wait for further testing

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back