Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
United States
City
Lewiston
Ive read the stickies but just wanted a few opinions. about five weeks ago i was eating lunch and noticed a twitch in my forearm muscle. I shrugged it off since i was out drinking the night before and figured it was dehydrated. im 20 yrs old by the way, college athlete, the throws in track and field (shot put etc.). of course i googled muscle twitches and what do ya know they are a symptom of ALS. of course i immediatley assume the worst even though it's probably nothing. This sent me into an anxiety fit for about a week and i then noticed twitching in my calves thighs and other places.

Ive calmed since then but still a bit nervous. Now they are mostly just in my calves and feet. I have a job that requires me to work on my feet all day, so that could be it. My mom is an RN and she has checked my strength and reflexes etc, and to be frank is getting very fed up with me and my twitching lol. she says im fine and need to relax. everyone around me is fed up haha and i am too. I pretty much only noticed the twitches now when i wake up in the morning in both my calves and only when i hold my legs at a bent angle up in the air hahah an odd position i know i guess that could be because no blood is reaching my calves since they are up in the air. those ones are tiny and i cant feel them too well but i can see them. Also im constantly bounching my legs ive just always been that way maybe thats a cause too.

i know that als is very rare at my age without a family history and i think im ok but i was wondering what some other people thought and if they have anything like this.

by the way i am a powerlifter, for example squatted 405 lbs for 12 reps yesterday in the gym and benched 250 for 9 reps, and can run a mile in under 8 minutes usually i weigh 250 lbs. can do 50 pushups etc.

rso would i be able to perform all this with something like als?

I would appreciate any answers thank you so much.

Gu65,
My husband can't do what you do on a bad day, so the answer from me is "no". Go to your GP and have him examine and refer you if needed. You are too young for another...

Peace in your journey,
Jen

GU,

We are not doc tors here and can only give you our opinions. First things, first. Listen to your Mother, she's a very wise woman! Second, Doc tor Go og le is a quack. He brought you here and fueled your an xi ety. Thirdly, if you can do all the stuff you mentioned, well you know where I'm going, I hope.

Your symp toms do not sound anything like mine. Of course, this is just my opinion. There is a place for you to check out: A
bout B F S and in the DO I HAVE Section, please check out the sti ckie by Alyoop properly named Hea lth An xi ety. The other is a thread by Sadiemae called B F S or A L S. Please read them and check out the other si te. I believe there's an extremely intelligent woman on it, she goes by Robynnblue. She has posted here in a few of these threads.

Good luck to you. And go have a long and happy life.

so i just got back from a physical with my gp and he didnt even seem concerned so i guess i shouldn't be.i talked to my athletic trainer today and he said that as long as im not weak and i can do all the things i do (listed above) then the twitching is nothing to worry about. i told my doctor what the trainer said and stated that i had occasional twitching still but i still manage to squat over 500 lbs and he wrote it down laughed, gave me a smile and didnt mention it for the rest of the time, and no referral.

i have a family history of heart issues so my doc was more concerned about that, my ekg was all good and scored a 106 and all the nurses and he was shocked cause they've never seen a score that high lol so i guess my respiratory muscles are pretty dang strong too haha. (side note)

i guess the lack of attention he payed and laugh means im good? lol

i guess the lack of attention he payed and laugh means im good? lol

Out of the mouths of babes! We could all take a lesson about how to deal with DIHALS from this.

Enjoy your summer Gu.

Congrats! You're using your noggin, listening to mom, and reassured by your doctors. Go enjoy life and MOVE because you can!

And BTW, considering you are an athlete, remember that electrolyte imbalances can cause twitching. Just food for thought.

Great! A clean bill of health! Go live your life and enjoy. Glad you got yourself checked!

Jen

thanks all! i really appreciate all of your replys, im really happy my rationale side has taken over its great! its kind of a duh situation. twitches all over my legs and other spots for 6 weeks? still strong as heck? good way to know im fine lol i wish i could explain this to all the twitchers.

your taxing your muscles with all that weight lifting .

Everything in moderation
Patricia

GU,

You ARE helping us with the twi tch ers. By you rationalizing your symp toms, along wih your ques tions and our co mments, hopefully this shows the twi tch ers that they too can "be cured"(of med i cal an xi ety). You have heard the saying, "It starts with one...."? Well, you're that one.

Go and enjoy your life!

hey so after stumbling across this i thought i should share and i think this link would make a great sticky. i noticed this study on the BFS site and it is a medical study on benign fasculations from 1951. ALL TWITCHERS SHOULD READ.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2069606/pdf/brmedj03504-0021.pdf

I sugguest for anyone to read the whole thing but it clearly states on the middle of page 211 as follows............

"Apart from the absence of fibrillation and the preponderance
of comparatively coarse fasciculations on electro-
myography, we have adopted one further clinical
criterion in assessing fasciculation as benign: this is its
persistence for over three months without the appearance
of measurable weakness or wasting. We base this on
the obsero*tion of Nielsen (1946) that atrophy invariably
follows fasciculation " very shortly "-usually within 30
days."

soooooo if you've been twitching for around 3 months with no wasting or atrophy smile and breathe. i hope this gets some views because its great to see such viable information from a reputable source, i bet this would put some people's worries to rest. its helped me... I'm at the 2 month mark! almost there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back