Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
mo
City
nixa
Advice for Dr Google patients that have convinced themselves they have ALS and refuse to accept advice they get on this site. Enroll in a weight/cardio training program with a trainer. Barbells, dumbells, weight machines, treadmill, pushing it to the max 5 nights a week. You won't have time to think about shortness of breath, weekness in arms, difficulty climbing stairs and of course twitching. In a few short weeks you will be busy admiring yourself in the mirror because the love handles will be gone, boobs less floppy, chicken wings no hanging down. you will return to this site for 3 reasons; thanking for our advice, wish us well, and sayin GOODBYE

oh pearshoot,i used to go to the gym 2-3 times a week and run before i got ill.........used to compete in cross country running.
just makes you so sad and envious of the able bodied.

Pearshoot,

I keep noticing you are in Ozark. I'll betcha I'm in Ozark once a week or more. By the way, I concur with Olly!

so many on here were very fit and athletic in their day.......so seems to me if those who are determinrd to have there symptoms match those of doc google, they should undertake pearshoots advice.....but search me how anybody complaining of mnd could possibly lift a dumbell has gotta pretty dumb.......johnny

Move over Kim and Olly. Make room for number 3 on the hamster wheel. I wonder how many of us, were actually working out before di ag no sis?

Hmmm, just curious.

zapoon have seen your postings last couple years you once invited me for a drink at the pub and listen to the juke box. i will invite you to the support group meeting tomorrow night at wheeler heart center we have something in common ret-military would like to meet you

I didn't work out--but when I was more able-bodied, I was an EMT and lifted people for a living--and before that, a cop--where I could hold my own with the best of them. Even a few years ago, I could teach high school and get through a day.

Now? exercise is a 4 letter word. (A bad one)

I've been a dancer my entire life. I was in ballet, tap, jazz, and gymnastics as a kid, and also took twirling lessons. In high school, I was the Drum Major for three years and in charge of choreographing for the twirlers and flag corps. I was also in show choir and danced my way through 2-3 shows a week for four years. And I took ballroom dance lessons on top of that. And I learned Irish step dancing. And then I taught show choir and folk/ethnic dancing all through my teaching career.
I miss dancing. I miss stretching and warming up. I miss performing. I miss dancing around the house with my 5-year-old.

Why anyone would WANT this disease is beyond comprehension... Pearshoot is right on. Go og le Med Sch ool grads, get off your butts and get on with your lives!

I was diagnosed last Friday, I can still walk fairly well with weakness and feeling a little sore. My doctor at the VA said that I have a slow progression and I am grateful for that. I was wondering if I feel up to it, is it OK to exercise? didn't know if it would make it move any faster. I have been going through several test over the last two years, the VA is very strict. Thanks Greg

Exercise is exactly what causes my symptoms to present themselves. It's not even exercise anymore, just slightly out of the normal exertion. I can walk fine, but I had to hustle to catch an appointment the other day so I walked up the streets really quickly. After that I was unable to walk on my heels for a few hours, and my shins burned with pain for the next two days.

Same thing can happen to my fingers after playing the piano or video games. Day to day things I'm fine, but my issues really flare with exertion. I've given up on the gym.

positive symptoms appeared in apr09, didnt seek medical advice until sep o9. started exercising like i suggested at start of thread in oct 09 think the trick is to start immediately not wait till this monster is full blown and then try it. the drug trial clinic at ku medical cntr informs me that there has never been a formal trial with exercise and als. i still exercise regularly but listen to my body at what weight level on 10 machines. feel positive this has slowed my progression, still walk, talk, eat, breath, and drive on my own. after 3 months of pushing it to the max you could see increased muscle size and strength in both arms when i was diagnosed in feb10. the i backed off slowly over a period of time. upper body from 50 down to 15 lbs, lower body 80 to 130 lbs down to 30 to 70 lbs. this may not be right for others but sure works for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back