Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Green cove springs
Hey guys I'm a 25 yo male, that was adopted at a young age. I just recently found out my biological father passed away from heart failure. I also learned just prior to that he was diagnosed with ALS. I have no idea of anything eles. I really don't understand everything very much. I was wondering I y'all could give me info on this horrible disease. Also I learned its hereditary? Is this true? If so what are my risks? And my steps to find out? I don't recall hereing about anyone eles in my family with it. Any help would be great! Thank you

Only 5 to 10 percent of those with ALS are hereditary. If your bio father was in that small group your chance would be 50/50 to carry the gene. If you were to have the gene it DOES NOT mean that you would become symptomatic and develop ALS.

You can search this site and also read more information at ALS Association. I'll post a link below.

There are many things that resemble ALS. Without your father's medical records it would be difficult to know for sure if what is reported to you as diagnosed, was not in fact a medical diagnosed of possible ALS, etc. during the process of ruling out the many other things that could be mistaken as ALS.

ALS Association Greater New York | New Jersey | Long Island | Hudson Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back