Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
In the past week, we've had a little fun with some satirical posts about a few things that we see a lot of in this part of ALSForums. We've had some laughs, vented some of our irritations, and some of our members have demonstrated a creative spirit that we all envy.

But, as with most good things, there is a season and the season for deliberate humor through caricature in this section of ALSForums should come to an end, with further posts of this kind being placed in the Comedy, Humor, and Jokes forum.

This suggestion -- to put further posts of this type into the Comedy, Humor, and Jokes forum -- is not meant to imply that anything was wrong with those humorous posts. Quite the contrary, I thought members did a very good job of staying away from cheap shots and tender nerves.

But it was also clear that these posts were placed here to send a message to some of our members (one subset in particular) and, with the message having been delivered, it's time for us to see if the ones who needed to hear it actually heard it, understood it, and applied it. And we do that by going back to business as usual and watching for the signs that they've heard and understood the message.

One further note -- BFS and cramp-fasciculation syndrome are very real conditions. While they are benign in most physical senses, they are far from benign mentally and emotionally. We have some very good friends here that act as invaluable resources for helping the anxious people who come here to understand how the benign diseases differ from the various MNDs. It would be a shame if a post meant as humor hurt one of these fine folks. The mental and emotional battles that these folks have fought and won against BFS are worthy of our respect and honored appropriately.

As always trfogey, well said.

Have to say I got quite a few chuckles from the humor, some of it I didn't get at all! Which is fine with me as well... :)

Message received! Perhaps our kind moderators will move those threads for us...

Having read the forums for a while now I can absolutely appreciate the frustration and see the humour in many, many of the DIHALS posts. The recent stuff has been over the top funny. I don't laugh out loud on my own very often, but I have recently.

I'm not exactly sure what initiated the recent spate of satirical posts, it's good stuff. But there is a real service for those of us that are working through annoying, as yet not understood conditions that while probably not ALS are substantial and MND remains a possibility. The 23 y/o's that can't peel a banana not withstanding.

There have been a few coming through here over the years that have ended up with alternative diagnosis's . I find that information valuable. Shared experiences and all. Keep nailing the posters that are certain a twitch is a death sentence. But I'd also ask to continue to be welcoming to folks that are looking for support (not answers) as they go through the medical processes and learn to understand their own, newly acquired and evolving limitations and conditions.

i agree too.
For those of us who have real neurological problems just no name this part of the forum can be a source of help and reassurance. And even the genuine twitchers bfS i am sure are helped by positive messages that its very unlikely they have true ALS. I have been very gratefull for all the replies i have had so thank you and please keep the door open for the undiagnosed like me. much appreciated

Agree. Maybe the thread you are referring to could be moved.

Allen I miss you.

Allen's wisdom will not be replaced

Tr, your posts were always the point at the end of the forum spear!

I so miss him, he was of such great help to me in the dih, really helped me understand and knock some much needed sence into me when I needed it. I will never forget him. Always spot on with his answers (and sarcasm) I hope he knew how many he had helped.

To all the dih'ers, please know how much effort these members put into trying to answer your questions, I am so very grateful to all of you.

This thread of Allen's, like so many of his others, was put together with great care; the end result being a communique that speaks volumes of his character and his passion for helping people via this forum.

Maybe it's time to close shop on PZ Laboratories, Inc. We could say he retired.

I missed this thread :( I miss you, too, Allen!

Zaph, don't you dare retire the laboratory! I love reading what you guys come up with!

Thank you, Helen.

One of the reasons PZ has remained on this forum is largely due to BethU demanding he never leave. He (PZ) and I are rather attached at the hip (so-to-speak).

Nontheless, I don't want this thread to be stolen by PZ.

In honor of Allen, I simply will ensure that he (PZ), his antics, adventures, inventions and labs are moved into the humor Forum.

So, in honor of our friend Allen, satiracal humor will travel to where it belongs and no longer appear on the DIHALS Forum. PZ has moved.

This place WILL never be the same without Allen's wisdom and deep love he had for others. The work he did behind the scenes, helping people was tremendous. Many here, did not realise how his compassion for others, went way beyond this forum. He was amazing. Picked me up from the depths of despair, so many times and put me back on my feet. He said it like it is.

Miss you dear Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back