Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Valrico
Hello. I am 22 years old and I am nearly certain I have ALS. I know the statistics, but that alone is apparently not enough to put me at ease. If it were, I wouldn't have come here. I am hoping someone on here will talk some sense into me. Here goes:

Three weeks ago while I was arranging books I noticed a strange sensation of weakness in my forearms. I examined my hands closely, and tried gripping tightly, which I could barely do. I was concerned for a little while, but I dismissed it as stress due to upcoming exams. And it went away.

Then a week later I noticed the same sensation again (trembling arms, weak grip). I thought the same as before, but this time it didn't go away. As the weekend came on and I had to go to work, I became more anxious after reading the symptoms of ALS online. I started sensing similar sensations in my legs: A sort of trembling infirmity whenever I knelt down, like they were about to give or something, and I had more of the same in my arms. Then as the night went on the sensations seemed to diminish, so once again I dismissed it.

Then the next day the symptoms returned, only this time they didn't go away. I had a feeling like I was losing my grip on things more easily, and my legs began feeling even weaker. I was so shaken that I had to call off work early. At that point I had convinced myself that I had ALS. For the next several days until my doctor's visit, I experienced odd fluctuations in strength perception: some days I would wake up feeling weak, and then I would improve as the day went on. Other days (usually the following) would be the opposite, I'd wake up feeling fine and then would gradually feel the weakness coming on again. It would always be the same places: arms and upper legs. At one point I went to the gym and did one set of moderate weight on each major muscle. I had little to no difficulty and felt better afterward, only to feel weak again later. Twitching in various areas also became worse. I began to feel twitching all over my body, mostly in my limbs. The night before the appointment my feet and lower legs were twitching so much they were practically having seizures. From then I noticed my shins and calves having weakness too.

Saw the doctor, who of course told me that ALS was highly unlikely and suspected either a psychological cause or a deficiency and ordered blood-work.
My symptoms would continue to fluctuate, until finally one day I felt like I had reached a plateau where I had gone nearly an entire day without any major symptoms. Then the next morning I woke up and everything felt worse. My calves were sore, my quads were sore, and so were my arms and forearms.

Now I feel as though the weakness has changed: where once it was a mere trembling sensation, now it is more like a true fatigue. I tried exercising again, and was able to pull the same weight, but afterward felt even more sore, far more so than what I'd usually experience after working out.

At this point it is three weeks since this all began. I'm still waiting anxiously for the results of the bloodwork and praying that there's an abnormailty found so it can end there. I can still walk normally, run, go up steps, and ride my bicycle without difficulty, but I feel as though I am tiring faster. It is hard to tell since I was a little out of shape to begin with. My fingers and hands still seem fully motional and able to perform dextrous tasks like tying shoes, opening bottles, turning keys, buttoning, and solving a puzzle cube, but I am getting a paranoid sensation that my fingers seem stiffer than they used to be. Tasks that require very delicate motions like handling papers or unwrapping candies seem to require a bit more attention and slower motion (can't tell for sure though). Even as I am typing this one-handed, which I can usually do easily, I feel like I'm missing keys more frequently. I can feel the extensor muscles in my forearms tiring after using my fingers for just a little bit. Twitching actually seems to have diminished from earlier but it still continues, whenever my muscles are at rest, usually in my legs. I have suffered no loss of control, for the most part, just this increasing fatigue in all of my limbs.

I've tried long and hard to find some deficiency, some other condition that these symptoms could be attibuted to, but none seem to fit the bill. ALS seems to be the only one that fits, and needless to say I am very frightened. So does this sound like it, or is this simply the worst case of hypochondria you've ever heard?

Nothing at all that you have explained, sounds a thing like ALS. I can't imagine where you did your " research".
Carefully read the stickies at the top of the page, including the one about health anxiety. You need to get a grip and see a councillor about the hysterical state you have gotten into.
Anxiety is an awful thing and can cause twitching etc. Please get some help.

lionthunder,

Which doctor told you that you might have any neuromuscular disease, much less a motor neuron disease like ALS? And, if no doctor has told you that you have this rare disease -- literally a million or more to one shot, at your age -- why have you chosen to believe that you have it? That was a deliberate choice that you made to believe that you have ALS, and you can make the opposite choice (to believe that you do not have ALS) just as easily.

Here's a tip for relieve some of the soreness you're having -- stop doing all the silly strength and endurance tests that you are using to see if you really do have weakness. You might injure yourself more doing that foolish stuff.

And, for the record, I agree with Alyoop -- nothing that you've described here sounds like ALS to me.

I agree that mentality can be a powerful factor, and I've tried hard to mentally block out even the possibility of having the disease. I've tried laughing about it, reasoning, flat out denying and forgetting it. But it persists, regardless. Every move I make, I am reminded of it.

But thank you for your input. :)

why not ms, cancer, brain tumor, ebola, mad cow disease?

I agree that mentality can be a powerful factor, and I've tried hard to mentally block out even the possibility of having the disease. I've tried laughing about it, reasoning, flat out denying and forgetting it. But it persists, regardless. Every move I make, I am reminded of it.

But thank you for your input. :)

No, you're not. You are reminded that you have sore muscles (not an early ALS symptom.), that your muscles tire easily (not an early ALS symptom), that you have twitching all over your body, (not an early ALS symptom), and you were fine three weeks ago (ALS doesn't move through the entire body that quickly).

What you're choosing to ignore is that the true symptom of early ALS is the one you don't have -- measurable assymetrical weakness. If you ask people that actually do have ALS (officially diagnosed) what symptom caused them to go to the doctor and eventually led to their ALS diagnosis, it's nearly always some form of weakness. Some part of our body simply stops working properly and we go to the doctor to find out what's up.

And you can be solidly assured that if your primary care physician had seen true symptoms of a MND -- assymetrical weakness, abnormal reflexes, abnormal muscle tone, atrophy, spasticity, etc. -- when he/she examined you, you would be waiting for your neuro referral appointment.

Basically, because you did not understand what you were reading about ALS, you've scared yourself into believing that you have ALS. And because you are young and foolish and think that you are one of the 'Net's medical geniuses and can diagnose yourself with an evening of mouse clicks, you're too stubborn to follow the actual evidence and admit that you made a mistake.

You aren't the first that has made this mistake. You won't be the last one this week, much less further into the future, to make this mistake. The only thing that remains to be seen is how stubborn you are.

I sure wish we could "think" ALS away, just like so many "think" they have ALS...

Yup, one of the worst cases of hypochondria we've seen.

AL.

After about 15 more exchanges explaining why no one here knows anything about it I'll agree with you Al.

I appreciate your bluntness :lol:

I some places though I have a hard time figuring out whether something is merely sore, fatigues easily, or is weak. For example, just a minute ago I was trying to peel open a tough banana, and I literally had to stop for a second because I had to strain and twist my whole hand and arm to do it (I can usually rip those suckers open in a second). Now my whole hand feels utterly limp from the exertion. Is that weakness?

Sorry, I don't mean to be stubborn or offending. :(

For example, just a minute ago I was trying to peel open a tough banana, and I literally had to stop for a second because I had to strain and twist my whole hand and arm to do it (I can usually rip those suckers open in a second). Now my whole hand feels utterly limp from the exertion. Is that weakness?

No, it's not the weakness that goes along with ALS.

Try using a knife to open your bananas for a few days. And always make sure that the sharp edge of the knife is aimed toward the banana and away from you.

I read through this thread and now my head hurts because I just banged it against a wall in utter frustration! Now my head feels weird and I think my tongue started to twitch!

I'm terrified I've just given myself ALS.

My pinky just started to twitch, too!

I'm doomed!

Or it was just one tough banana.

Weakness is not being able to hold onto or pick up the banana, not have to turn your arm (which you can't do if its true weakness) to peel it. The weakness is very slight at first, and you wouldn't notice it for a while, not in 3 weeks.

Good luck, go live your life, you don't have ALS...

HOly crap i have green eyes. pretty sure i have stomach cancer.
sounds ridiculous right?
thats how your post sounds to us.

Weakness does not come and go_Once you have weakness it is ALWAYS there as the muscle is dead. And it will spread until the whole limb is paralized. No matter How hard my husband tries there is no way he could peel a bannana. Can you open a water bottle. Can you lift a coffee mug. Not is it difficult to do, is it impossible to do. Go to the site I told u about. Ask them. They have all had the same symptoms you have

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back