Distinguished member
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hello everyone,

I hope my friends here are doing well. I stopped coming here because I don't have an ALS diagnosis. But unfortunately, my problems continue and are still slowly getting worse. My muscle fatigue is pronounced, I have lost control of some of the muscles around my mouth, my muscles shake and ache, and the fasciculations are as intense as ever.

Here's the dilemma I'm having. I know that high cholesterol can slow the progress of ALS. While I still don't think I have ALS, I am concerned that I have something related. I don't know, doctors don't know; it's all speculation. But one of the reasons I feel that my progress has been so slow (not better, just slow progression) is because I've been able to put on weight and keep my cholesterol high.

Now part of me is wondering if my high carb diet isn't contributing, or even causing, my problems. I came across a site that said diets that are high in coconut oil can help many neuromuscular problems, and diets that are high in flour-based-carbs can make them worse.

It's hard to know where to go for good info, because the internet is jam-packed with BS, but doctors in western medicine really are inept when it comes to nutrition and non-pharmaceutical treatments.

Part of me wants to lose weight and exercise, but in my experience, those have made my symptoms worse. And I don't want to speed up progression of whatever-this-is.

The other part wants to aggressively change my diet, to see if a cleanse and a total rearrangement of my food intake makes a difference.

Has anyone in the ALS-like-symptoms-but-not-ALS camp had any luck with diet or vitamin experiments? Any other advice out there?

Many thanks,

Andy

want to know how your body is doing on the inside. get a meridiane or zyto test (bio-meridiane.com) (zyto.com) been doing them for two years
still walk, talk, eat, breath and drive on my own can't prove it helps but nay sayers can't prove it dosen't

Lots of us take Creatine to help maintain muscle mass, along with Ubiquinol Co-Q-10, vit D, etc. If you do choose to try these, make sure the creatine is from Germany, not china to ensure that it's a quality version (look for CreaPure® on the label). And make sure it doesn't have things like glutamate in it.

I've also noticed that I'm better off staying away from items with MSG in them, and you'd be surprised how many items have that in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back