Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Essex
City
Essex
Okay, so i was on here a wee while ago (2 months) with various problems...symptoms. I had a clean EMG - However........since then i have had MORE twitching, from tongue to fingers, to stomach, to legs, back, shoulders - everywhere... Constant. The vibrating/purring whatever you want to call it is back. I am slurring (still) and after having twitching and cramping in my left hand (fingers) for about 6 weeks there is definite muscle wasting going on. Another weird thing is that things are slipping out of my left hand... just slipping like i have no grip. And the weirdest thing and women who have had a baby will understand this, is that when you're pregnant and you feel your baby move, i am getting that kind of feeling all over. When i am watching TV, laying down i can feel literally like my different parts of my body is moving........it's really strange.

Yes i am on meds... No i am not anxious..

What is bothering me more than anything are the countless posts online saying they had numerous EMG's ALL coming back clean and then after 3 or so years of symptoms they have a positive EMG result for ALS.

I forgot to say that my tongue/jaw is feeling very fatigued especially when chewing and ive bitten my tongue more times lately than I have in my whole life. I have a follow up appointment coming up with the neurologist.

I do not have the time to go back and read all of your old posts. When you had the CLEAN EMG did you also have a Neuro exam? Was there any clinical weakness found?

Also could you cite some of these NUMEROUS examples of people having symptoms for 3 years and clean EMG then ALS diagnosis?

I am sure upon closer examination most of them can be explained.

Mum,

Your first mistake was putting 1 word in and out spits our forum. You really shouldn't listen to doc tor go og le. What you need to be doing is oog ling B F S. Seems more likely.

As for "these" people that have had numerous clean EMG's and then to be diagnosed years later, where are they? I have never met any of them. And this feeling of purring, vibrating should tell you if you had bothered to read any of the stickies, that is not a symp tom of ALS. As for the "pregnancy feeling body wide", that's definitely not a symp tom either.

You mentioned meds. What are they? And if they aren't anxiety meds, you need to ask the doc tor on your appointment for a prescription for 1. I really don't think we are the right place for you. Good luck to you,

I found a couple on here of the misdiagnosed.
I am on anti anxiety meds.

I went into the doctors and got a copy of my first letter which states "Sensory function in tact, deep tendon reflexes were brisk with no pathological reflexes." Of course i am freaking out about the brisk reflexes.

Then the letter after the EMG says this... Reported normal nerve conduction studies with no evidence for widespread anterior horn cell disease. Left C7 radiculopathy was reported.

Last edited:
Go back to your doctors. We can't validate your fears.

Mum,

Radiculopathy is a compression of the spinal cord (that's actually good news). NO evidence of anterior horn cell disease (that's even better news). And thirdly, having brisk DTR's is the cherry on top (if you go og le, you will see its the diminished or absent you should worry about). Have you had your thyroid checked?

And like Ted and I said, if you could name names, it would be helpful.

Have a happy life,

How about bulbar onset? I wasn't checked for that with the EMG and my speech is much worse and any word beginning with 'R'
Or 'T' won't come out right.

Boy you really want this diagnosis don't you...Your EMG gave you great news. if you still have questions ask your Dr's.

In just saying I have many bulbar characteristics and I never had any tests for that. My tongue is so achy and I really struggle to form words to the point of slurring and the tired jaw, nasal speech and sporadic choking when I'm eating and when I'm not. There are too many things pointing to what I dont want it to be.

Not forgetting the tongue twitches

Mum,

You have got to listen to reason. Your going off the deep end and I won't be able to help you anymore. You will just have to see your doc tor.

Good luck to you,

Remember Mum, "Worrying does not change the future", just makes you miserable in the mean time.

Re: Back, and worried again!

Okay, so i was on here a wee while ago (2 months) with various problems...symptoms. I had a clean EMG

Glad to hear that.

- However........since then i have had MORE twitching, from tongue to fingers, to stomach, to legs, back, shoulders - everywhere...

Of course, your doctors have surely told you that twitching without weakness and with a clean EMG is benign and indicates that you do not have ALS. You should be happy about that.

What is bothering me more than anything are the countless posts online saying they had numerous EMG's ALL coming back clean and then after 3 or so years of symptoms they have a positive EMG result for ALS.

If you are foolish and stupid enough to keep reading stories that you can't confirm about people you've never met after your being given a clean bill of health by your own doctors, then you deserve to be frightened out of your mind -- provided of course that you had a mind to start with.

I forgot to say that my tongue/jaw is feeling very fatigued especially when chewing and ive bitten my tongue more times lately than I have in my whole life. I have a follow up appointment coming up with the neurologist.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of that examining room.....

I found a couple on here of the misdiagnosed.

Those people have user names, just like you and I do. If you are going to make these claims about other members, please name them so that we can verify what you're saying about them. If you can't be troubled to make note of their names, then shut up about them.

I am on anti anxiety meds.

Good. You need them. Probably more of them.

I went into the doctors and got a copy of my first letter which states "Sensory function in tact, deep tendon reflexes were brisk with no pathological reflexes." Of course i am freaking out about the brisk reflexes.

And, as usual, you're freaking out for no good reason. It is normal for some people to have brisk reflexes. Obviously, you are one of those people. If there were anything for you to be worried about, the doctor would have noted it as a pathologically brisk reflex.

Then the letter after the EMG says this... Reported normal nerve conduction studies with no evidence for widespread anterior horn cell disease. Left C7 radiculopathy was reported.

ALS is an anterior horn cell disease. Your EMG reports that there is no evidence of widespread anterior horn cell disease in your body -- thus, you don't have ALS and the symptoms that caused you to seek medical attention are not themselves symptoms of ALS, as we tried to tell you the first time you were here. And it suggests a C7 radiculopathy could be causing the problems in your left hand and arm.

How about bulbar onset? I wasn't checked for that with the EMG and my speech is much worse and any word beginning with 'R'
Or 'T' won't come out right.

Most people don't like having needles inserted and wiggled around in their faces, so neurologists only do bulbar EMGs to verify clinical signs of ALS, such as slurred speech, inability to move your tongue around, difficulty keeping lips sealed, etc. Obviously, you didn't show any of those signs while the first neuro was examining you and there was no need to check bulbar nerves during the EMG.

In just saying I have many bulbar characteristics and I never had any tests for that. My tongue is so achy and I really struggle to form words to the point of slurring and the tired jaw, nasal speech and sporadic choking when I'm eating and when I'm not. There are too many things pointing to what I dont want it to be.

Apparently, you don't show these bulbar symptoms to an experienced neuro. And you might find that the soreness and tiredness might go away if you stopped trying to get them to do things that they're not meant to do -- like crazy strength tests that people have devised to "prove" that they have bulbar ALS symptoms.

Not forgetting the tongue twitches

Lots of people have tongue twitches and don't have ALS. Congratulations -- you're one of them.

I can't believe this...

Is this person for real or are we being played with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back