Not open for further replies.

deana

Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Winston Salem
I ask of your forgiveness ahead of time if I am being overly apprehensive and cause any disrespect. We were told in a former post that some on here are great at the reading of EMG, NCV and SFEMG and translating them into layman's terms. I humbly and nervously am asking that of you, please. Nerves are from not wanting to be a nuisance.

"Nerve conductivity studies were performed on the left ulnar motor and sensory responses. There were no sensory response that could be recorded; however the motor response appeared to be fairly intact. Repetitive stimulation was performed on the left ulnar nerve and on the spinal accessory nerve on the left and both of these were normal and showed no appreciable electrode decrement before or after exercise"

"Concentric needle EMG was performed on the selected muscles in the left arm. There is a mild increase in motor unit amplitude and duration and the ulnar innervated first dorsal interosseous and also slight increase in amplitude and duration of the motor units in the median innervated flexor pollicis longus, which also showed some mildly decreased recruitment. Otherwise deltoid, triceps and EDC were normal."

Electrodiagnostic Interpretation: "This is an abnormal study showing a non-localizable ulnar neuropathy, which is consistent with his reported history of ulnar neuropathy. There is no evidence for myasthenia gravis on the repetitive stimulation test, although this is an insensitive test given his lack of symptoms in the peripheral muscles. The EMG portion did show signs of some mild denervation/reinnervation in the ulnar innervated first dorsal interosseous, which fits with his history of ulnar neuropthy; however, we also found mild denervation changes in the median innervated flexor pollicis longus, which is of uncertain clinical significance but these two findings together could suggest a mild C8 radiculopathy. Early motor neuron disease cannot be ruled out"

"Single Fiber EMG was done from the left frontalis muscle. The mean jiter was 41.76 microseconds which is above the ULN of 35.5. Four of 25 pairs had a jitter exceeding the ULN for single pairs. Two of these showed blocking.

Conclusion: "This was an abnormal study. There is an evidence of neuromuscular junction defect c/w myasthenia gravis although other neuromuscular diseases could produce similar findings"

Hate this is long and thank you in advance for reading and offering any knowledge on it.

Deana,

You may get better luck getting an interpretation sof your emg, by sending "wright" a pm and include all the information. He is a professor, so he may be busy

Got to agree with Toto on this one -- maybe Wright can give you a better idea of what it means and where your fiance can expect to be headed over the next few months. The findings are too ambiguous and my knowledge of other neuromuscular diseases is too thin for me to be of any help to you.

I agree with Trfogey and ToTo what I read was a little ambiguous and frankly confusing compared to other EMG reports I have read. Wright is 10,000 times more versed then I am so I am sure he will be helpful.

Deana,
I postd on wrights wall and hopefully he will be able to decipher it for you. He hasn't been on in 2 days, as I said before he's a professor at a college and may be busy.

Thank you all so very much. I have read on here that Wright is the one to "go to" for the reading of EMG's, I just did not want to be overly presumptuous by going straight to him. Thanks again to each of you!

Toto, thank you for posting on his wall, it relieves my nerves. Not knowing him, I would hate to come across as aggressive.

I can not express my gratitude enough to you all.

Hello Deana

First of all, the reason the neuro said he/she cannot rule-out MND is to cover their butt. Otherwise, that is not the EMG of someone with ALS (not in my opinion). It is an abnormal study, though . . . but . . . that doesn't have to mean anything bad.

The lack of sensory response from the ulnar nerve points away from ALS and instead points to a lot of other possibilities, nearly all of which are completely harmless (annoying yes, harmful no). It is most likely either a pinched ulnar nerve or some disk issue in his spinal column. Furthermore, that finding has nothing at all to do with MG. The inability to fatigue your husband's muscle with repetitive stimulations also points away from MG . . . but . . . it's not a very sensitive test to diagnose MG.

The increase in motor unit amplitude and/or duration is a sign of reinnervation. In other words, at some point in your husband's life he damaged some nerves and the healing process subsequently took place (i.e. reinnervation took place). This damage could have happened 6 months ago or 6 years ago or whenever. That is good news.

The "jitter" they mention is a finding seen with single fiber EMG's and is typically done to help diagnose MG. He had a slight increase in jitter (above normal values), so it could indicate MG but that is left to be seen.

Bottom line: I would be optimistic about the results. I'm sure more tests are on the way and before long, an entire picture can be painted and answers will come.

Take care and let us know if we can help you any further.

Hello Deana

First of all, the reason the neuro said he/she cannot rule-out MND is to cover their butt. Otherwise, that is not the EMG of someone with ALS (not in my opinion). It is an abnormal study, though . . . but . . . that doesn't have to mean anything bad.

The lack of sensory response from the ulnar nerve points away from ALS and instead points to a lot of other possibilities, nearly all of which are completely harmless (annoying yes, harmful no). It is most likely either a pinched ulnar nerve or some disk issue in his spinal column. Furthermore, that finding has nothing at all to do with MG. The inability to fatigue your husband's muscle with repetitive stimulations also points away from MG . . . but . . . it's not a very sensitive test to diagnose MG.

The increase in motor unit amplitude and/or duration is a sign of reinnervation. In other words, at some point in your husband's life he damaged some nerves and the healing process subsequently took place (i.e. reinnervation took place). This damage could have happened 6 months ago or 6 years ago or whenever. That is good news.

The "jitter" they mention is a finding seen with single fiber EMG's and is typically done to help diagnose MG. He had a slight increase in jitter (above normal values), so it could indicate MG but that is left to be seen.

Bottom line: I would be optimistic about the results. I'm sure more tests are on the way and before long, an entire picture can be painted and answers will come.

Take care and let us know if we can help you any further.
Thanks for always pitching in with advice in laymans terms. You are so busy and always take the time to help and give advice . Thanks

Yes! Thank you, Wright! I am sorry I have yet to thank you, we were out of town. I came on and read via my phone, but due to signal weakness I was not able to show my gratitude. Thank you so much. We go back to neuro this Thursday, so I am sure more test will be on the way. Thank you all, again.

Good luck deana!

Awe, thank you momap! That was so nice to find! Bless you!

Deana, I have no medical knowledge other than what little I have gained while going through the diagnostic process myself and while taking care of others over the years.

In the conclusion, it sounds as if the doctor is leaning towards a diagnosis of myasthenia gravis. If a blood test to detect antibodies that are blocking or have damaged the acetylcholine receptors has not already been done, you might ask about it. Not all labs do this test, and it isn't 100% accurate, as the antibodies only show up in about 80% of the people with generalized MG. It has value in the diagnostic process.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Toto and Old Dog, thank you both so much for the wishes of luck. I pray we will gain some knowledge Thursday.

Old Dog, he has shown negative on three blood test for MuSK and Achr. I feel that is where much of the confusion is coming from for the neuro. The negative blood work I understand is common, but he has tried Mestinon and prednisone and neither have helped with symptoms.

I am sure the answers will come in due time.

This site is so extremely helpful and encouraging. I have stumbled onto a GREAT group of folks here and each time I think of this forum, I ask God to bless it and those on it. Thank you all, again.

Update: We just returned from the Neuro and he (the neuro) is taking MG off the board, he indicates after almost 6 weeks of the prednisone, something should have let up. He has not taken ALS off, but says it is not likely since Jeff has no strength loss since his last appt. in October.

The symptoms since starting prednisone have been locking up of hands to where he has to open the one hand with the opposite hand, cramping in hands, feet and legs. He states his legs are stiff, like he has been working out. Can these new things be contributed to the prednisone?

The next step is a speech therapist to find out which muscles the palatal weakness is coming from. Do any of you know what other neurological disease he may be looking into? It was kind of a rushed visit and of course after is when these questions come to mind. If you have any advice, it is welcomed! The neuro says it is something neurological because the SFEMG shows weakness. I am a bit confused.

Thank you all so much, you are wonderful people. Answering all this questions for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back