Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
TN
City
Knoxville
I am fairly new here, so I will start from the beginning.

I've been stressing out lately over my job, and I've had a constant history of health anxiety - and I am by no means here to waste anyones time as everything I say is a genuine concern, and I'm looking for insight. I would appreciate honest and straight forward opinions, whether they be harsh or not, as I need sense talked into me badly.

A couple of months ago, after recovering from a cold or flu of some sort, my hands began to shake around black friday during a high stress sales job. It had never happened before, so I began to worry - like the hypochondriac that I am -. A few days later after looking up on the internet about MS, Parkinsons, ALS, and a ton of other conditions I became scared. My left leg devoloped an internal tremor which only occurs while resting. I scheduled a doctors appointment and was told it was all anxiety and stress, which I believed. She put me on Requip and Anxiety medicine(Buspar). The leg tremor seemed to cease for a while, then come back. Then the twitching began. Mostly in my left calf at the start, then it went to my right calf , my hands occassionally, and my eyelid every now and then. Recently I have developed what feels like a buzzing inside my nostril, which comes and goes. My right calf is smaller than my left, which I am not sure if that has always been that way. However I have been told that if it were atrophy, it would be weak. Which it is not. I have zero weakness to speak of. My twitches only exist when my muscles are resting, and while at work on my feet I notice nothing. My fingers only shake when I hold them outward, not while resting. I spend most of my time on the internet trying to be reassured or talk some sense into myself, but I can't seem to shake this feeling. I've read plenty on BFS, which logically is what makes the most sense as far as I know. Should I be worried about these symptoms? Is this all in my head and should I move on?

I should also mention that I am just turning 20 next Thursday. I appreciate your responses in advance.

You are having stress issues. My doctor a while ago told me that the body is like a sponge. It absorbs all of the stress that it can, and finally just like a sponge...it begins to leak after it is overly full. This leaking out can manifest itself in choking sensations, heart palpatations, muscle twitching, stomach problems and ulcers, etc...and the list goes on and on. These are real feeling symptoms which can be treated. But the cause isn't medical, but emotional.

Stay off the internet to diagnose yourself. Let your trained physician decide what could be ailing you. If you do have something bad going on...it won't go away. It will continually rear its ugly head. In the case of ALS... it will definitely not go away...but worsen with time.

Live each day to its fullest. Everyone here on this site understands that concept. They are adapting and making each day count. We all should do that every day of our lives.

Faith in our creator, our Holy Father to see us through each day is my life line. No matter what happens to me or to any of my family or friends, I know that there are reasons. God is in control! He gave me life on this planet and life eternal through his son Jesus, my savior.

God bless you...
Kaye

I appreciate your response, and I hate to be the guy who troubles people because he can keep his hands off his keyboard. I have a therapy appointment set up for my issues, so I can be less bothersome and hopefully have the outlook I should have given my situation. Thank you for your response - truly. I will do my best to stay away from the internet on these matters. Though I've said that before.

I really admire you. You have done what so many fail to do. Yes you have headed down the health anxiety path, but you have had the strength of mind and character to see through it all and seek help promptly. That takes courage. Thank you for sharing and I really hope that many people will read this and learn.

Scarlett you explanation of anxiety being like a sponge is priceless.

I appreciate that, really I do. I did not come here expecting a diagnosis over the internet, I more so came here because of how supportive I saw people being towards new people with realistic expectations of what they will receive here. I am going through a hard time by my standard, but not by anyone else's by any means. I wouldn't dream of saying I have it rough right now. I more so came here to get a general outlook from people who have gone through the early process of this, and see if it resembled anything of mine. I know it sounds ridiculous, but the reality of it is that it is impacting my life as of now. Sort of the "Not knowing" factor of it more so than the actual physical manifestations, if I could even call them that. As much as I have read, everyone with symptoms I have have come back clean from it. But I always seem to find that little area that isn't EXACTLY like me, and manage to think it's completely different. Another flaw I will not deny. Thank you for your responses.

Nerves and stress. Nothing that even resembles ALS. BFS is possible, but my money is on anxiety. Twitching means nothing without weakness, and with atrophy, there would be weakness.

All that said, it's possible you have some sort of vitamin deficiency, which should be checked. Good luck to you.

One more post to try to rid your sponge of that unneeded stress: That is not ALS . . . it's not even remotely close. I can almost guarantee you it's stress related. Address your anxiety issues and be patient with the healing process. I wish you peace.

That is very kind of you to let me know that. I've rea
d around and someone with your level of knowledge sounding so confident really helps me. I cant thank you enough. I admire the way you lend a hand around here. I wish all of you the best of luck, and again - thank you.

I had some depression/anxiety issues a year before my husband was diagnosised with ALS. I was twitching/jerking, my body hurt so bad I thought I was dying. I had numbness, no appitite all kinds of horrible things. My doctor told me to take not each day at a time. but each hour at a time. The body does strange things when you have anxiety and you become so over aware of your body and so worrysome you may think you are truely gravely ill. I got outside, took walks, mowed yard anything to get my mind off myself. You need physical exercise instead of surfing the net. Get to your doctor, get some tests and get on some good meds. I am well now although it took a few months. Sounds to me like you dont have als, so get your mind off yourself and pay it forward to someone who does needs help. I know the symptoms are very real so try these suggestions. It helped me and now all my attention goes to my husband who ia living as a hero in my mind. Good luck and God bless to you. Try to stay off the computer for a while.

Sounds like a case of STRESS. Stay off the internet...as it will make your hands shake more after you read all of the material out there. You are more likely to get a small case of carpel tunnel from all the searching than anything else. If your symptoms stopped for a while with the anxiety medication you can reassure yourself that is most probably the culprit. Talk to your dr. about possibly upping the prescription.

Stay off the internet! Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back